FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Replacement

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Transmission Replacement

This is probably a silly question since I'd likely never actually do it, but I'm curious about the feasibility of replacing the transmission/gearbox in a DeLorean. Now I'm not talking about replacing it with the same thing (that's obviously possible), I'm talking about popping the stock one out and upgrading it with something much newer.

See, I've been driving manual transmission cars for ages. My DeLorean is a 5 speed, my daily driver (Audi A4) is a 6 speed, my last daily driver (Audi A4) was a 5 speed, my car before that (VW Jetta) was a 5 speed... you get the idea. Thing is, I love the modern feel of the manuals that AREN'T my DeLorean. Smoother and tighter shifting just feels so much better, but when I'm driving the DeLorean it feels like I'm steering a goddamn U-Boat in comparison.

So how feasible is it to upgrade the DeLorean's manual transmission with something modern?

(Concours guys probably just shit themselves and started vomiting. I'm cool with that.)
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The most compatible replacement is a Porsche box but what you are thinking about is VERY expensive. There is a reason you do not see many different transmissions in Deloreans. Not many choices! In many ways it makes a lot more sense, if you are changing the transmission, to also change the motor. BTW you are not changing a transmission, it is a "transaxle". It combines the clutch, transmission, and final drive (differential).
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Is all of your external shifting mechanisms up to snuff...or that's not what bothers you?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What you don't like about the DMC trans is all in the shift linkage.

If the linkage were redesigned with something that wasn't so sloppy, with real bearings, it would fix everything.

The slop and friction in the DMC linkage is the 4 squishy rubber bushings and the goofy pivot bolt setup. The trans is fine, and the shifter itself is really a decent design.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I agree the shifter mechanism leaves a lot to be desired. Especially if it is worn or out of adjustment. My biggest peeve with the 5-speed is the gearing is not optimized to the PRV for the Delorean. You run out of first too quickly and 2nd is not a good match from 1st. I see the same mismatch in the Lotus too. I guess they had to take what Renault gave them, there are not a lot of gearing choices in the UN-1.
    David Teitelbaum

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I improved my shifter feel just by replacing a few of the bushings and the pivot bolt (biggest improvement as my old one must have been worn down a bit). Still not as nice as modern cars, but it was cheap and easy to do! Might be something worth trying first.

My VIN:    3472 (former)

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

If the linkage were redesigned with something that wasn't so sloppy, with real bearings, it would fix everything.

The slop and friction in the DMC linkage is the 4 squishy rubber bushings and the goofy pivot bolt setup. The trans is fine, and the shifter itself is really a decent design.
    I really like how the Stage III car shifted, it was very smooth, and Mike M said that everyone was saying that about that car. So was there anything in particular done to that car to improve the shifting, or was it just a case of refurbished linkage vs. everyone else's 30-year-old linkage?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

I would think this could be done with a second cable and a bearing at the linkage. Something would still need to be present for the movement between the trans and linkage. Biggest issue would be upgrading on a car with worn engine mounts. ( IE the moving shifter some times present under accel and decel.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've thought about doing the linkage with little heim joints, but there is such a thing as being too direct. Done wrong you'd get lots of noise and vibration inside the car.

There is a way to do it, take apart a BMW linkage sometime.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Technically with the joints being on two different axis ( one horizontal one vertical) this would allow for the needed movement between components. I would have to think their would be a lot of drive line noise resonating through the tunnel with the insulators removed though.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast