FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1981 Delorean Restore.....First Car Restoration. Need Help.

1981 Delorean Restore.....First Car Restoration. Need Help.

I just bought a 1981 DeLorean from my friends dad that's been sitting in a garage for 20 years, I know, long time. It was only $2,000 i bought it for. Only 3,000 original miles, paint and leather interior is perfect. The car doesn't start and needs new hydraulics for the doors, fuel line, new starter, battery etc. Since this is my first car rebuild, I was wondering if anyone could help me since I'm just getting started with cars. The Delorean again, has been sitting in a garage in Los Angeles so no snow, for 20 years. The engine is still great. Just need to know what to do to get it running. Looks beautiful and want it running in two months, if you could give me some advice since DeLoreans are a special car to work on, that'd be great. Thanks, Andres

My VIN:    11596

Yikes, I hope you have at least $5000 in your pocket just for parts, more like $10,000 if you want to have a shop do it all for you!

You need all new fuel system, brake and clutch rebuild, replace every single hose, door hydraulics, new radiator, new tires, might as well tear down to the engine valley, water pump, probably air conditioning overhaul......

I just rebuilt a DeLorean for an owner sitting since 1990. It cost him $5000 in parts just to get drivable without worrying about getting stranded. It took me 3 months and over 80 hours of work, and I already had experience.

This won't be just a wham-bam fixer upper. I'm sure everyone else will say the same.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Do you want it restored and driving in 2 months, or just have the engine turning over in 2 months? 20 years is a long time, and 2 months is not very long. Get ready, you've got a LOT of work ahead of you. This would take someone with a lot of DeLorean experience a long time, let alone someone who is brand new to the car. Dont get me wrong, it can be done, but dont expect it to be easy or cheap. It's nice that you got it for so little, but as said before, I hope you already have a DeLorean budget of at least $5000 just to get it moving.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 07-24-2012 at 04:42 PM.

My VIN:    3937

Hey Andres!

Welcome! Sounds like you have a great car on your hands to get back on the road. You came to the right place for help doing so.

Could you post pictures of the car here? You can post as many as you'd like from various angles, not much in the way of forum limits I don't believe. You can show some of the stainless panels pictures and all that good stuff, but perhaps focus on the electrical and mechanical and the important stuff underneath.

First thing with the car, don't try to start it quite yet. Resist the temptation to throw a new battery in it and give 'er a go. We'll get there, but we need to check your fuel system and a bunch of things first.

Do you know much about the status of the fuel tank, system, etc.? Was it left drained down empty, or is there some 20 year old gas/gunk hiding in there?

A few pictures of the engine bay will go a long way. Same with underneath... how is the frame?

You are probably looking at doing new hoses all around for coolant, perhaps the vacuum lines, etc. You'll want to put a new fuel filter, air filter, and oil filter in.

What type of transmission is it? That will factor in to some future work. The auto's have a shift computer worth investigating if it is in good shape, manuals have a couple other maintenance items, both have fluids needing changing.

How do the brakes look? You will likely also want to drain and flush the brakes. The reservoir is accessible from in the front trunk, under the carpet board, near the spare tire. A picture or two from in there would be good too. You'll probably want to replace pads, perhaps turn the rotors depending on condition, and maybe look at getting the calipers rebuilt.

There are a few safety recalls on the car, but those can be tackled later on in this process. A couple of them were signified by a blue or red paint dot on the backside of the engine bay firewall. Your engine bay pictures will show that.

How is the rubber or tread on the tires? Do you see a brand or better yet a date code?

Did you get a number of keys with the car? Depending on your locking system, you might have more than one. Ignition, doors, cubby hole lock behind drivers seat, and possibly a gas cap lock if you have a flapped hood.

It would be nice to see in your battery compartment and fuse relay area (which is behind the passenger seat and up under the parcel shelf). Depending on what we see in there, we could upgrade some of your fuses and relays. Once we have a grip on the electrical, you can put a battery in BUT don't start the car. Just to see what switches, lights, etc. work and which ones don't. Like I said, don't try the engine until your fuel tank and system is good and clean, but many things you can find out where you're at simply by trying them. These are things like the windows, headlights, radio, hazard lights, side markers, turn signals, horns, interior lights, or door lights.

How is your door alignment? Do the doors spring up or hang down? How do the torsion bars look?

That's lots for now. Best thing to have is patience, regardless of what happens in the next two months.

You're in a good part of the world as there are many California owners that I'm sure would love to check things out and give you a hand.

Good luck dude!!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03572

Now you have scared this new guy away.

Your first repair is to get the engine running. Sounds like you tried to start it which may have fouled up the fuel distributor and injectors. But maybe you lucked out and the fuel pump did not run.

1) You need to drain the tank and clean it out. Look for how to on this form.
    2) You will need to replace the fuel filter and fuel accumulator.
    3) Most likely you will need a new fuel pump and boots for the pump. I would recommend the new DMCH unit even though its $
    4) Best to also flush the fuel line.
    5) New battery. Probably a battery charger also needed.

Then you can try to start it. You still have old gas in the FD and injectors so if you get it started they may clear up. But a new FD and injectors can cost $1000.

So set small goals and work out the problems in time.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum
    Seems like you have bought a real bargain at $2000 even if it requires a lot of job to get it running back.
    Like the others members said, could you post some pictures of your car, especially the weak places, like the frame or the electric compartment.
    Thanks!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Let's hope the "$1000.00 for every year it sat" rule doesn't apply.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    4534

Make yourself a list of what you need to get her driving and then start from there. Sounds like you already have a short list of things so document it to keep yourself on track.

1. Engine fuel system
    a. drain tank
    b. test fuel pump (replace as needed)
    c. replace (trust me, replace) all rubber fuel lines
    d. replace fuel filter and accumulator
    e. test/replace injectors

Something like that. Then hit Delorean.com to make yourself a price list. Depending on your income this will determine how realistic your 2 month window is. Don't run the car for extended periods before fixing the cooling system. Every piece of rubber on that car is going to need attention. You do not want to overheat this engine. DO NOT drive it until the brakes are bled and checked. Think of your safety and the safety of that Delorean. Is there a deadline you're trying to hit with the two months?
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A lot depends on the time you have, where you can keep it, and how much money you can spend and how quickly. First of all you need a place to keep it. Next step is to get the paperwork in order. Title it in your name so you KNOW it's yours. Insure it. Now call your favorite vender and together they will help you make up a list of stuff most commonly required to wake up a Delorean that's been sleeping for 20 years. I suggest you take it in phases so no step is so big it overwhelms you. The first one would be to clean the car and inventory everything. Next would be to order the manuals (if you don't have them) and clean the fuel tank. Since you are in CA you might want to call DMCA first. 2 months is ambitious but doable if you have the time and the money. Don't forget to also figure buying a set of tires but you don't need them right away. In a strict sense this isn't really a "rebuild" it is more of a "refresh". I am assuming you have a basic set of tools, metric wrenches, floor jack, etc and at least a "little" bit of automotive skill.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3296

Club(s):   (PNDC)

What! $2000? Thats $3000 cheaper than any DeLorean Ive ever seen and with only 3000 original miles with nice interior and body? Compared to mine, its painfull to think about the deal you got. Mine was $5500 at about 135,000 miles with heavily damaged and corroded frame, disgusting interior, a dent of some kind in every pannel ruined engine and had been sitting for 15 years. But it was my first car and also my first restoration project as well. Congratulations with your unbelievable find and good luck with the restoration. You lucky mumble mumble...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast