FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: help car won't start

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'm thinking 4 relay wires- 1 grounded, 1 coil (trigger from starter), 2 to top of resistor(s).
    Seems it can't be any other way and do it's job...?

Like this from old .com:
    That looks correct.

Relay pin 85 should be ground
    Relay pin 86 should be from the starter
    Pins 30 and 87 are the Common and Normaly Open pins which are interchangable in this case.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yeah..I think he is ok there...

I'm thinking confirm the tests (with gauge if poss) or plan on FD work or replacement...

My VIN:    3757

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yeah..I think he is ok there...

I'm thinking confirm the tests (with gauge if poss) or plan on FD work or replacement...
    So... now I am lost.... I hooked up a CO2 powerd pump to fresh clean gas, and set it to 75 PSI and it pushed hard enough to return to the gas tank... I pulled an injector and pushed the plate and got a nice spray, that changed with pushing the plate... I tried to start the car.. no dice.

Then I pulled a spark plug wire and put a spark plug on it and cranked, it sparked... not like as strong as I think it should, but it jumped the gap... Then I jumpered the White Yellow wire on the ballast to the + of the coil, as when I used a test light it was not as bright on the + side of the coil as it was on the White-Yellow wire on the ballast... still no go.

Soooooo anybody have a idea.....

Thanks...

Try some spray starting fuild. Se if you get any firing of the engine. If that does not work, sounds like you need to do compression test.
    Dave M vin 03572

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    So... now I am lost.... I hooked up a CO2 powerd pump to fresh clean gas, and set it to 75 PSI and it pushed hard enough to return to the gas tank... I pulled an injector and pushed the plate and got a nice spray, that changed with pushing the plate... I tried to start the car.. no dice.

Then I pulled a spark plug wire and put a spark plug on it and cranked, it sparked... not like as strong as I think it should, but it jumped the gap... Then I jumpered the White Yellow wire on the ballast to the + of the coil, as when I used a test light it was not as bright on the + side of the coil as it was on the White-Yellow wire on the ballast... still no go.

Soooooo anybody have a idea.....

Thanks...
    Disconnect the fuel pump. Have someone spray starting fluid into the intake while you try to start. What happens?

This will tell you if the issue is fuel or not.

I'd pull and clean all of the plugs as well before doing this test. You may want to change the oil, or at least sample it to see if it has a strong gas aroma, which would indicate that your engine has flooded.

--buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DeloSTM View Post
    If its a Bosch coil make sure it is wired up correctly. Bosch doesn't label the terminals + and -. 1 is negative. Then attach a test light to the negative terminal and make sure it flashes on and off while cranking. If it doesn't flash then your ECU probably is bad or the pickup in the distributor is bad, or the wiring is bad.
    Ok, I connected a test light the the - on the coil and turned the key on, light was steady bright, whild I cranked it just dimmed, did not flash on and off, just steady dim.. does the help?

Craig

Ok.. I hooked up a Dwell meter to the car... and while cranking the meter goes to 0 degrees... does that help... what should it be... I was expecting like 32 or so...

Help....

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

I'm not sure what a dwell meter would/should do during cranking.

Try the starter fluid test.

I really think your fuel system is the most likely problem. Starting fluid will tell you if that's the case or not. Disconnect the fuel pump, and spray starter fluid into the intake while cranking. If it makes smoke and sputters, your problem is fuel. If it doesn't, then you can at least say that something else is wrong.

--buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    Ok.. I hooked up a Dwell meter to the car... and while cranking the meter goes to 0 degrees... does that help... what should it be... I was expecting like 32 or so...

Help....
    Hooked up to the coil or Frequency Valve? I've never checked the dwell on the coil. That was only done with points in the distributor.
    Dave M vin 03572

Banned

Make sure you are connecting the dwell meter to the negative side of the coil. If it is reading zero on the negative side that is bad. Your coil is never charging up. Make sure the lines from your distributor pickup are OK. There is a plastic connector that cracks and breaks from heat.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast