FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: help car won't start

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Your A/C blower fan Cycling ON and OFF is likely caused by the Fan Breaker tripping off and on. The originals are known to be slightly under rated. From the picture you posted you still have the Original breaker (w/ spade connections). Replace it with a (40 amp) stud type. You'll need to convert to Ring terminals like the the one next to it.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3757

Ok, So I now know that I am not getting high voltage to the spark plugs when cranking, and it hence won't start... What should I do...Coil + gets 12.4 volts, Could it be a bad coil? Is it the ECU? Lost here...

Thanks,
    Craig

Banned

If its a Bosch coil make sure it is wired up correctly. Bosch doesn't label the terminals + and -. 1 is negative. Then attach a test light to the negative terminal and make sure it flashes on and off while cranking. If it doesn't flash then your ECU probably is bad or the pickup in the distributor is bad, or the wiring is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DeloSTM View Post
    If its a Bosch coil make sure it is wired up correctly. Bosch doesn't label the terminals + and -. 1 is negative. Then attach a test light to the negative terminal and make sure it flashes on and off while cranking. If it doesn't flash then your ECU probably is bad or the pickup in the distributor is bad, or the wiring is bad.
    I am guessing the wires are right as I was driving it when it died. My Bosch coil is clearly marked + &- . How do I hook up a test light? Ground and - on the coil?
    Last edited by Silverbullet; 07-25-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    Ok, I have 12.4 Volts to the + side of the Coil... but no spark to the plugs... So... Where do I look... and Where is the ECU?

Thanks,
    Craig
    I would make sure that 12.4 volts is strong (remove and test with icepick probe or a medium sized bulb to ground instead of meter...or as mentioned above).

Did you check for spark coming out of the coil before checking at the plugs?
    If not, keep following the power. If it has spark you can forget the ECU and check spark at cap, then plug wires or rotor button. If you don't have spark at the coil, check it. ...I can't remember exactly for a D, but rule of thumb is .79 ohms across the small terminals, and, 10.5K ohms across the (+) and center terminal for most types of automotive coils. If it checks ok, then check the ECU or distributor .
    Last edited by Ron; 07-25-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I would make sure that 12.4 volts is strong (remove and test with icepick probe or a medium sized bulb to ground instead of meter...or as mentioned above).

Did you check for spark coming out of the coil before checking at the plugs?
    If not, keep following the power. If it has spark you can forget the ECU and check spark at cap, then plug wires or rotor button. If you don't have spark at the coil, check it. ...I can't remember exactly for a D, but rule of thumb is .79 ohms across the small terminals, and, 10.5K ohms across the (+) and center terminal for most types of automotive coils. If it checks ok, then check the ECU or distributor .
    I swapped in a coil from an old Mustang, and I still had no spark.... What is the best way to check for spark out of the coil? Hold close to ground and crank?

Thanks....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Did you try a bulb?

"Still" no spark from where? The plug wires?

Yes, just use a spare plug wire and push back the boot or use a phillips screwdriver and hold it about ~1/8" from the block.
    Last edited by Ron; 07-26-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Did you try a bulb?

"Still" no spark from where? The plug wires?

Yes, just use a spare plug wire and push back the boot or use a phillips screwdriver and hold it about ~1/8" from the block.
    Ok, I used my test light, it was dim on the + on the coil, the + has a White wire with a yellow stripe, and a Looks like added Yellow Wire. I used my test light on the Ballast and it was bright... So I used a jumper wire from the Ballast to the + on the coil, and tried to start, sitll did not fire.

Banned

Did you put your test light on the negative side of the coil?

Ok... This Sucks...

I used a wire from the center of the coil close to ground... cranked, it sparks... So then I pulled a spark plug wire, inserted the wire put close to ground, and it sparks... car still does no try to fire.... ahhhhh

And Thanks guys for the help...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast