FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I bet I'll end up with this one eventually...

My VIN:    4534

I bet I'll end up with this one eventually...

I think I've finally talked my parents into getting a spare car. It's hard to work on mom's van or dad's truck when I have to get the car back to them in the next day or two. They both have 20+ year old vehicles so wear and tear are starting to take their toll. Neither one wanted anything new. Mom constantly says "new cars don't have any personality" and I totally agree with her. Even the Camaro, Mustang, or Challengers start to look the same after awhile. Queue this Craigslist find. An 86 Monte Carlo LS. It's perfect for them. Dad had a 76 and mom's father had an 85 SS. I drive a 99. We're a Monte family. The car is easy to work on, an automatic so even my sister can drive it, it'll get about the same gas mileage as their current cars, and insurance will be lower than a new car as well.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow after work. Hopefully it is as nice as the pictures show. And yeah, eventually I'll probably end up with the car even though I do not need another one. I'm hoping to offer them around 2 to 3 grand for it.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

You sure you wouldn't like to wait for something better?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Yuck. I don't like the rims on either of them but the bottom one is just horrid. Plus I like the angles of the 84 over the 88.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

looks to be in nice shape.

is it missing the passenger side mirror? i know side mirrors were an 'option' for many years, but i thought it wouldve been standard in '86...
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Yeah, I noticed that as well. There appears to be a plate of some sort over the spot it would be. I'll be sure to look for bent or damaged sheetmetal in that area. Rust and body damage is going to be a major factor on this car.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

The mirror was definitely forcibly removed by a stationary object and currently resides in the trunk. It dented the door slightly. The paint is not nearly as nice as it looks in the photos. The story is the previous owner had a crazy ex with a key. There's surface rust in the cuts. However, there are no rust holes anywhere. The doors are rust free and so are the lower quarters and trunk. The doors shut smoothly and all of the lines are good. She's never been repainted or wrecked. The front and rear windows are rust free as well. The inside is faded but not torn. The dash is cracked. The 305 engine sounds healthy and runs smooth with good oil pressure. The quadrajunk carb has been swapped for an Edlebrock and dual plane intake. The brakes are good and the radiator is new. The AC is running but the air isn't very cool.

With a paint job, interior cleaning, and some detailing under the hood she'd sell for much more. I offered 2500 and they accepted. She'll be a father/son project for dad and I.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

I brought her home

She's in great shape for her age.

Red's not going on the back burner. This is a father/son project so I'm not touching it when dad isn't there.

Now I'm off to see if I can locate a passenger side mirror. I have the enclosure, the glass is shattered and I'm having a heck of a time finding a replacement.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Awesome, thank you Mike. They have the exact mirror I need and judging by the price it's often broken. It's twice the cost of other replacement glass.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

My VIN:    6585

That or it's a more expensive convex mirror. Nice car BTW. Reminds me of an old Buick Regal that I stupidly walked away from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast