FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What color powder coat?

My VIN:    04915

What color powder coat?

4915 is at DPI for a major refurb including a spec II engine. I'm trying to decide what color to do the powder coat. I think I'd like the plug wires, vacuum hoses, fuel hoses and whatever else to be the same color. Is that too much color? If you've done this I'd like to see pictures of your engine to help me decide. At this point I'm thinking blue but I dunno ...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Anybody have pics of the DMC-CA engine done up in fuchsia? That could establish one end of the scale for you....
    Last edited by TTait; 07-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    4915 is at DPI for a major refurb including a spec II engine. I'm trying to decide what color to do the powder coat. I think I'd like the plug wires, vacuum hoses, fuel hoses and whatever else to be the same color. Is that too much color? If you've done this I'd like to see pictures of your engine to help me decide. At this point I'm thinking blue but I dunno ...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    I thought that license plate looked familiar. I saw 4915 in person a couple days ago! It was up on the rack next to 559, both at DPI. You can see it in the background of this picture I took:
    IMG_7572.jpg
    (559's in the foreground and 4915 is one or two wheels behind 559).

Anyways, since you're asking about blue, I'm not sure if this would help any, but here's a picture of the "stock" coloring to the SPEC engines, most noticeable on the timing chain cover next to the wheels. That is, if you went with the "paint the engine the same color as it is without paint" powdercoating like I did. The pictured parts are fresh back from the powdercoat shop. Maybe this might help you match colors better.

I think as long as you don't pick too many colors under the louvers, you should be fine. I did a quick search for "Mopar Engine Compartment" on Google Images and came up with something that might help. Take a look here; the fourth result shows some blue spark plug wires and might help you get an idea of what it'll look like!

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    I thought that license plate looked familiar. I saw 4915 in person a couple days ago! It was up on the rack next to 559, both at DPI. You can see it in the background of this picture I took:
    IMG_7572.jpg
    (559's in the foreground and 4915 is one or two wheels behind 559).

Anyways, since you're asking about blue, I'm not sure if this would help any, but here's a picture of the "stock" coloring to the SPEC engines, most noticeable on the timing chain cover next to the wheels. That is, if you went with the "paint the engine the same color as it is without paint" powdercoating like I did. The pictured parts are fresh back from the powdercoat shop. Maybe this might help you match colors better.

I think as long as you don't pick too many colors under the louvers, you should be fine. I did a quick search for "Mopar Engine Compartment" on Google Images and came up with something that might help. Take a look here; the fourth result shows some blue spark plug wires and might help you get an idea of what it'll look like!
    Hey, thanks for the info ... small world. I'm glad to see 4915 in the air being worked on. Josh told me it would take two months minimum to complete the refurb but it'll be great when he finishes it. I'll spend some of that two months mapping a return route to Arkansas using backroads only ... 1000 miles, no interstates, 210 HP!
    Last edited by Jacko; 07-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    Jack Skeens

I'll spend some of that two months mapping a return route to Arkansas using backroads only ... 1000 miles, no interstates, 210 HP!
    Don't worry, I'm doing the same exact thing when I get 559 back. In fact, my route to and from work is all backroads, 25-minute drive to boot (with highway would be 15-20, but sleep and traffic vary more than that). Once you get it back to Arkansas, then you can take it to a drag strip and have some REAL fun!

Or you can see if Josh would ship your car to you at a cost. I live a half hour away, so he charged me $50 for the trip. Proportionally it'll probably be less for you ($50 could be his minimum price). Might be good for peace of mind. Saves you from getting stranded elsewhere due to unrelated issues. Food for thought; I can PM you pics of the trailer he used if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    Don't worry, I'm doing the same exact thing when I get 559 back. In fact, my route to and from work is all backroads, 25-minute drive to boot (with highway would be 15-20, but sleep and traffic vary more than that). Once you get it back to Arkansas, then you can take it to a drag strip and have some REAL fun!

Or you can see if Josh would ship your car to you at a cost. I live a half hour away, so he charged me $50 for the trip. Proportionally it'll probably be less for you ($50 could be his minimum price). Might be good for peace of mind. Saves you from getting stranded elsewhere due to unrelated issues. Food for thought; I can PM you pics of the trailer he used if you're interested.
    My original plan was to have the car trailered back to me. It cost $1020.00 to get her up there and one could spend a good chunk of that driving home with gas, hotel etc. But I have a lady friend who wants to go and thinks it would be a good trip ... who am I to argue?... maybe we will get stranded.

Edit: I just thought of something ... When I shipped 4915 to DPI I removed all belongings including the tool kit. I can't take my tool kit on the airplane can I? Put in checked luggage? Send it ahead by UPS? A man would be a fool to embark on a thousand mile trip in a 30 year old car with no tools and a woman with a yet-to-be-determined tolerance for DeLoreans.
    Last edited by Jacko; 07-29-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Jack Skeens

maybe we will get stranded.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Current SPEC II Engine completed last week ready to ship. Each one is unique in some way and hand crafted to the highest standards possible. Basically you can't get this product anywhere else. Shown with our standard powder coated finish.
    Attached Images
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Current SPEC II Engine completed last week ready to ship. Each one is unique in some way and hand crafted to the highest standards possible. Basically you can't get this product anywhere else. Shown with our standard powder coated finish.
    That is a beautiful engine, Josh.
    Jack Skeens

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

That is a beautiful engine, Josh.
    That is exactly how your SPEC II will look Jack. I personally like the color pictured but as discussed prior can make it any color you would like.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast