FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Advice on quote

Advice on quote

I was given a quote of $1800 to refinish both fascias and louvres. Is that too much?
    Tim, Edgewood, MD, VIN 1663, '81, automatic, black interior, grooved hood w/ flap

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

It really depends on how much work they need and what quality of refinishing materials he plans on using. Even if you have next to no experience, and unless the fiberglass is busted up, you should have no problem doing the engine cover yourself.

Assuming the fascias are not damaged and just need finishing, you should be in the 800-1,200 dollar area to have both done, although if you shop around you might get by for less, just remember you get what you pay for when it comes to paint.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Thanks Michael. This guy does do good quality work. Never on a DeLorean but several other classics and I want to make sure it's done right. That gives me peace of mind, thanks again.
    Tim, Edgewood, MD, VIN 1663, '81, automatic, black interior, grooved hood w/ flap

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

$900 each is a lot but it also depends on the area. For that price I would expect them to look like new. Be warned, they should be refinished on the car if possible. If they are removed you will break a lot of fasteners and because they tend to shrink, it will be difficult to get them back on and fit well. If the front one is removed you should have a reenforcing bar installed to prevent "eyebrows".
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by tsm1975 View Post
    I was given a quote of $1800 to refinish both fascias and louvres. Is that too much?
    The "value" will depend upon how much prep work is being done and if both the fascias are being sprayed on or off the car.
    Headlight area may need reinforcement. If there is any peeling paint, fascia(s) should be stripped, primed, then repainted.

The louver should be removed and may need reinforcement (near the center spine) before it is refinished, for best results.
    Keep in mind the louver can be easily scratched on top, near the T-panel, while being re-installed, so re-install carefully.

Later,
    Rich W.
    Last edited by Rich W; 08-01-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: fixed type-o's

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    $900 each is a lot but it also depends on the area. For that price I would expect them to look like new. Be warned, they should be refinished on the car if possible. If they are removed you will break a lot of fasteners and because they tend to shrink, it will be difficult to get them back on and fit well. If the front one is removed you should have a reenforcing bar installed to prevent "eyebrows".
    David Teitelbaum
    I'm not sure how you would completely refinish the fascias with them still on the car. How would you be able to adequately sand and spray all of the edges, as well as paint the edges that sit right alond side and join to the stainless, without getting any paint on the stainless, or getting total 100% coverage? We removed ours to have them professionally sanded and repainted this past winter, and we had no issues with reinstalling them or breaking anything.

You just have to be careful when you reinstall them, and make sure that your audot body shop puts enough "flex" in the paint he's applying to them, because they do need to be able to give without cracking when you reinstall them.