FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 81 Delorean cooling fans

Red face 81 Delorean cooling fans

Hello everyone,

I just got my first delorean a few days ago (3830) and it is in need of some work. Last night I got her running for the first time but I didnt let it run to long cause i wanted to find out if possible at what temp will the cooling fans kick on and also is there a way to test them some how? Any tips or help would be great. Thanks for the time.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

You can jumper the otterstat. It is in the cooling pipe just to the left of your A/C compressor. Two wires (green/black and orange/black if I recall properly). Just jump the connectors together and the fans should come on. As for what temp they come on at, it depends if you have the stock otterstat or a modified one. General rule of thumb appears to be that they will kick on just above the second tick mark on your temp gauge.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just got my first delorean a few days ago (3830) and it is in need of some work. Last night I got her running for the first time but I didnt let it run to long cause i wanted to find out if possible at what temp will the cooling fans kick on and also is there a way to test them some how? Any tips or help would be great. Thanks for the time.
    I would suggest that you get a set of the three manuals (Service Bulletins, Workshop Manual, and Parts Manual) if you haven't already done so. To check to see if the fans work, pull the two wiring connections from the Otterstat and jump the two. The fans should operate when the wires are jumped provided your ignition is on. I think a paper clip will provide the jump. John Hervey sells a short wire with male connections on each end that I keep in the car which can be used to make these connections, if needed.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    You can jumper the otterstat. It is in the cooling pipe just to the left of your A/C compressor. Two wires (green/black and orange/black if I recall properly). Just jump the connectors together and the fans should come on. As for what temp they come on at, it depends if you have the stock otterstat or a modified one. General rule of thumb appears to be that they will kick on just above the second tick mark on your temp gauge.
    I have not went out and looked yet but are you saying jump all 4 wires? green to orange and black to black?

My VIN:    0934

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    You can jumper the otterstat. It is in the cooling pipe just to the left of your A/C compressor.
    That's right. With this method you'll see if the fans, relay and wiring all the way to the Otterstat work. It won't tell you if your Otterstat (coolant thermostat that determines the fan on temp and off temp) is working.

Another way to check fan operation, not including O'stat wiring or O'stat is to kick on the A/C. With the ignition switch to ON (engine running or not), flip the A/C to MAX/NORM/BILEVEL and the fans should run.

Try it both ways because the fans are supposed to run either when the A/C is on or when the O'stat calls for them. If it fails either or both tests you will know how many things to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    That's right. With this method you'll see if the fans, relay and wiring all the way to the Otterstat work. It won't tell you if your Otterstat (coolant thermostat that determines the fan on temp and off temp) is working.

Another way to check fan operation, not including O'stat wiring or O'stat is to kick on the A/C. With the ignition switch to ON (engine running or not), flip the A/C to MAX/NORM/BILEVEL and the fans should run.

Try it both ways because the fans are supposed to run either when the A/C is on or when the O'stat calls for them. If it fails either or both tests you will know how many things to fix.
    Great I will go try it out here in a few, thanks for the help....I'm sure im going to need lots of it...lol

OK, and even after you check it via the A/C mode switch you can still do the O'stat wiring jump to be sure that circuit also works - except for verifying the Otterstat itself, that is. It is just the two wire connectors you need to pull from the Otterstat and jump to each other - with ignition ON. If you need a photo of the O'stat location let us know.

Link: Otterstat location schematic - Hervey

In left side of engine bay.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I have not went out and looked yet but are you saying jump all 4 wires? green to orange and black to black?
    There are two wires only - jump them to each other.

the list of single wire colors run out quickly - so once you get past blue, red, pink etc. you go to combinations of colors. a blue black wire will be a blue wire with a black stripe. A black blue wire will be a black wire with a blue stripe - etc...

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

There are only 2 wires on the otterstat.
    Green/back means a green wire with a black stripe; orange/black means an orange wire with a black stripe.
    Make these two connectors join (brass material connected to brass material and the fans should come on.
    If not, check the circuit breaker (the one with 2 wires on it) in the relays compartment, next to the row of relays on the seat side.
    This circuit breaker should be 40 Amps; cb's with lower (25A) current are the old ones and prone to go too quickly because the fans draw some 30 Amps (together).
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast