FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A/C Fully charged and still not that cold

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

A/C Fully charged and still not that cold

Here's a good one. My A/c hasn't been blowing all that cold since i first put 3165 back on the road 2 years ago. I had the system evacuated and refilled with R-12 along with a new low pressure switch. From then on it worked but not that great. Thinking it may not have been charged all the way I had Rob Grady check the pressures the other day and they were spot on. He said i May have to evacuate and clean out the system because there may be dirt or something in there. I was wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions? Years ago the A/C would blow so cold in there you could hang meat! Now it's just barely enough to take the edge off....with a full charge!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    06960

Check that your cooling fans are both working properly, and that the fins on the condenser and radiator aren't totally blocked. Also try cleaning out the evaporator from crud, remove the blower motor and resistors and reach in with a skinny arm or a rigged up shop vac extension. Just be extremely careful not to bend the fins on the evaporator. Finally make sure the compressor clutch isn't slipping.

It's possible the orifice tube could be plugged up, but I would think that would show up when checking the pressures. It could be though you have a low charge and a plugged orifice.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    04915

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    Here's a good one. My A/c hasn't been blowing all that cold since i first put 3165 back on the road 2 years ago. I had the system evacuated and refilled with R-12 along with a new low pressure switch. From then on it worked but not that great. Thinking it may not have been charged all the way I had Rob Grady check the pressures the other day and they were spot on. He said i May have to evacuate and clean out the system because there may be dirt or something in there. I was wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions? Years ago the A/C would blow so cold in there you could hang meat! Now it's just barely enough to take the edge off....with a full charge!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    4915 has the exact same symptoms you describe. I think it may be orifice tube related. She's at DPI in Ohio for a major refurb (Spec II Engine ... YES! ). I'm anxious to hear what Josh will find wrong with the AC. I will report his findings here.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    03572

Do you get a puddle of water under the car when the AC is running on normal? If not, your drain is plugged and that will reduce cooling. I never got good AC cooling until I installed the "Bill" AC drain fix.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I never got good AC cooling until I installed the "Bill" AC drain fix.
    Can you elaborate a little on what this is?
    - Chris

what

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Can you elaborate a little on what this is?
    Bill used an ignition coil cap to replace the old bent hose. I used a right angle cap, ran an new hose to a hole drilled in the floor and it drains out the bottom. I have some photos on my home computer I can post later.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Please do. My AC is okay, but it doesn't blow as cold as I'd like so any help I can give it is most welcome.
    - Chris

what

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Please do. My AC is okay, but it doesn't blow as cold as I'd like so any help I can give it is most welcome.
    Here they are.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Do you get a puddle of water under the car when the AC is running on normal? If not, your drain is plugged and that will reduce cooling. I never got good AC cooling until I installed the "Bill" AC drain fix.
    Funny you should mention this. I have noticed the water is not draining out all that well. Sometimes almost a day later after not using the car it will still be slowly dripping water from the A/C drain tube. I.guess it must have a clog somewhere?
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

What is this vacuum line for and where does it go. It doesn't seem to hook up to anything obvious in this area.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast