FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DeLorean Certified Mechanic Training?

DeLorean Certified Mechanic Training?

I was watching a video recently on the 'World's Fastest DeLorean' and they mentioned Don Steger at DeLorean California is the world's only remaining DeLorean Certified Mechanic. What exactly was the training they received, or the process of becoming a DeLorean certified mechanic? Any training materials or documents still out there?

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by delorean4ever View Post
    I was watching a video recently on the 'World's Fastest DeLorean' and they mentioned Don Steger at DeLorean California is the world's only remaining DeLorean Certified Mechanic
    This all depends on your definition. In my opinoin, Rob Grady is the only remaining Delorean certified mechanic.

My VIN:    11596

What's wrong with Don Steger's credentials?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

What happened to everybody else?
    They all died?

In order to keep your certified status, a mechanic should keep up with factory trainings. If DMC went out of business, then all their certified mechanics lost their certified status.

If Don Steger kept his "Certified Mechanic" status, then any other DMC mechanic alive should also be considered certified mechanics.

LEVY

Quote Originally Posted by delorean4ever View Post
    I was watching a video recently on the 'World's Fastest DeLorean' and they mentioned Don Steger at DeLorean California is the world's only remaining DeLorean Certified Mechanic. What exactly was the training they received, or the process of becoming a DeLorean certified mechanic? Any training materials or documents still out there?
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I would say Don is a factory trained mechanic. But i dont think Don had a dealership from day one. I would say Rob (or specifically PJ Grady, Inc.) is the last original DeLorean dealership still active from day one that still does service and sales.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    I would say Don is a factory trained mechanic. But i dont think Don had a dealership from day one. I would say Rob (or specifically PJ Grady, Inc.) is the last original DeLorean dealership still active from day one that still does service and sales.
    Exactly.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Factory trained really doesn't mean jack, it's just something you can say to sell yourself. With all the fixes that these cars need and all the developments over the last 3 decades, who would you want: a factory trained tech fresh out of DMC camp or someone who has been working on these cars for the past 10+ years?

Of course in both Don's and Rob's case, both factors apply and both are more than qualified as experts.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Factory trained really doesn't mean jack, it's just something you can say to sell yourself. With all the fixes that these cars need and all the developments over the last 3 decades, who would you want: a factory trained tech fresh out of DMC camp or someone who has been working on these cars for the past 10+ years?

Of course in both Don's and Rob's case, both factors apply and both are more than qualified as experts.

I think this makes the most sense. Plus I think that someone that blindly follows along (this can apply to any field), is not as good as someone that understands why things are the way they are, and can recognize deficiencies in the original design.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The certification meant something when DMC had a system of dealership support. It meant that the person was trained enough to work on a Delorean and understood the systems and any special procedures unique to working on a "D". At this point it really has no meaning. Being ASE certified would be more impressive. As for Don's or Rob's credentials, their reputation says it all. With all of their field experience they have seen and done it all, many times. There probably is no one else in the world as expert on the Delorean as these two people.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    What happened to everybody else?
    They all died?

In order to keep your certified status, a mechanic should keep up with factory trainings. If DMC went out of business, then all their certified mechanics lost their certified status.

If Don Steger kept his "Certified Mechanic" status, then any other DMC mechanic alive should also be considered certified mechanics.

LEVY
    I would disagree with that. As you say mechanics have to keep up with new factory procedures. Since De Lorean Motor Company went out of business, there are no further official procedures that have been published. So the training level stands at where it was. The certifications that they received from DMC shouldn't technically ever expire at this point because since the program stopped there is no superseded information that invalidates those old certificates.