FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Looking into a SS engine cover...

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Not *my* idea that they were added for cosmetic reasons. It was Bill's. For which he did provide substantial evidence to the matter, but I dont remember what that was.
    I think it was a quote from someone who was actually there. Maybe Collins. JZD saw the development of the Esprit that was going on at the same time and said, "I want that on my car." It really is as simple as that.

Not sure who's thinking what exactly, but I wouldn't think the prototype that's missing the louvers was intended to be the final design. The rear quarter panels still have the D-pilliar that slopes from the roof to the rear fascia, and frankly it looks unfinished without the louvers to even it out. If they had not gone with the louvers, I'd think they may have taken an approach similar to the FlatOut appearance of the DeLorean, with glass wrapping around the entire back instead of the glass. I can't think of a reason JZD would want to have stainless steel sticking up on the sides for no reason, and nothing supporting it aesthetically in the middle.

Think of it this way: without the D-pilliar and louvers, the DeLorean would essentially be a stainless steel gull-winged pickup truck with an unusable bed.

EMDF
    Not sure who's thinking what exactly, but I wouldn't think the prototype that's missing the louvers was intended to be the final design. The rear quarter panels still have the D-pilliar that slopes from the roof to the rear fascia, and frankly it looks unfinished without the louvers to even it out. If they had not gone with the louvers, I'd think they may have taken an approach similar to the FlatOut appearance of the DeLorean, with glass wrapping around the entire back instead of the glass. I can't think of a reason JZD would want to have stainless steel sticking up on the sides for no reason, and nothing supporting it aesthetically in the middle.
    Well, to me, the Lotus Espirit has a similar design without the louvres (albeit they have a spoiler on the back end). I'm no expert on the history of the Delorean, but why would they show the prototype to the press without the design being done? Is that common to have the car released to the press without being finished? I mean, its one thing to make design changes, its another to just not finish it and add the louvre if it was a key element to the rear end's appearance or function - i.e. air flow. I'm just asking because I have no clue. Do we know if there there was a sketch from the design phase that shows it without the louvre? Is so, do we know when it was superceded by a louvre added?

without the D-pilliar and louvers, the DeLorean would essentially be a stainless steel gull-winged pickup truck with an unusable bed.
    I disagree. It would be the world's coolest El Camino!

I apologize in advance for rehashing a topic that was discussed on the .com site. At least we'll have a thread to refer back to now!

Quote Originally Posted by adam_knox View Post
    Well, to me, the Lotus Espirit has a similar design without the louvres (albeit they have a spoiler on the back end). I'm no expert on the history of the Delorean, but why would they show the prototype to the press without the design being done? Is that common to have the car released to the press without being finished? I mean, its one thing to make design changes, its another to just not finish it and add the louvre if it was a key element to the rear end's appearance or function - i.e. air flow. I'm just asking because I have no clue. Do we know if there there was a sketch from the design phase that shows it without the louvre? Is so, do we know when it was superceded by a louvre added?
    If I recall correctly, the prototypes made by Giorgio Giugiaro had louvers in the back. I haven't seen pictures in a while though, so take that with a grain of salt. As for why they might skip the louvers, that prototype was more of a PR prototype, being shown to press, dealers, investors, etc. Maybe the louvers weren't the final design, or there were problems with them, or there were mechanical concerns and they needed quick access to the engine. Really a lot of reasons why they may not have been included. Again, grain of salt.

I disagree. It would be the world's coolest El Camino!
    I never said it was a bad thing Personally, if someone were to do that and put the engine in the front, that'd be kickass If I had Rich W's ambition and time...

I apologize in advance for rehashing a topic that was discussed on the .com site. At least we'll have a thread to refer back to now!
    Indeed! No need to apologize.

Getting back on topic for a bit, I do recall someone having stainless steel louvers. I don't know where I saw it or if I could find it again, but if you're looking to do a stainless steel engine cover and are worried about removing the louvers, doing them both in stainless would solve that issue. And it would look a lot better than mix-n-match.

My VIN:    ex-01678

A local PA guy had some custom stainless louvers made and showed them at a tech session in 2009. Here is a link to pictures and his contact info: http://tinyurl.com/94ty6l3
    They looked very nice in person but were heavy.

Jeff

Thanks for the link to the mythical SS louvre everyone was talking about! Looks really sharp!

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

since were on the topic of louvers: VIN 17006 has a stainless louver kit that is made from thin stainless panels cut to fit and bonded to the fiberglass. the solid stainless louvers look cool (awesome craftsmanship!), but i like the look of the black fiberglass border with the kit:

attachment.jpg
    (photo courtesy of Brent L.)
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Ooh, fancy! Looks nice with the black border. I'm going to have to line the engine cover first with aluminum foil or something to get a visual on what a stainless steel panel would look like surrounded by the black. I've been looking at prices for the stainless steel and so far its not looking too bad ($450-ish for a panel the size of the cover). I'm not sure on the dimensions or needed thickness, but I'd imagine the whole project would cost around $1200. I'm thinking it would maybe take 4 to 5 hours for a metal worker to bend it into shape. Note: I haven't looked into the labor part, but that's my naive guesstimate.

BTW Dvonk, I love your savings meter. Its awesome when it shifts closer to the right! I have a little mental race going with you on which one of us gets one first, but I'm secretly hoping its a tie.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

BTW Dvonk, I love your savings meter. Its awesome when it shifts closer to the right! I have a little mental race going with you on which one of us gets one first, but I'm secretly hoping its a tie.
    thanks, i like watching it move too.

it wasnt my idea originally, but i liked it, so i started using it as well. and hey, if you are able to get a D before i am, props to you! ill get there eventually. ive waited 16+ years, so a couple more wont kill me.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3