FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Possible DeLorean fire off of freeway in Goodyear, AZ? Anyone have any news??

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Tamir A. View Post
    Do you know how long the shelf life is for these? I thought I remember conventional extinguishers are only good for a year or two, but I'd assume since this Halon one resembles freon like characteristics that it wouldn't have an expiration date on its shelf life, correct? And I see Halotron I as an alternative, that describes no mess capabilities as well, is that just as good as the original Halon?

T.
    No expiration dates on any dry chemical extinguisher I have seen. You just check the pressure gauge "Monthly" and examine the nozzle for obstructions (mud dabbers).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Dry chemical extinguishers over time will clump and pack. You should invert and smack with a rubber mallet to loosen it up. You can tell by shaking them. If you try using one that has packed together no media comes out.

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Dry chemical extinguishers over time will clump and pack. You should invert and smack with a rubber mallet to loosen it up. You can tell by shaking them. If you try using one that has packed together no media comes out.
    I recently shot one off that was a factory original Mercedes unit, in an 80 Mercedes 280SE. Had the MB logo and the passenger seat lower seat mount. Dry chemical unit. I figured there was no way it wad going to work, as it was pretty likely as old as the car... gauge still was reading good, and good it was. When fired it performed just as a brand new one would have.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

fire extig.

I ask the guy who services our apt. fire equipment if he had any halon exting. He did but he can't sell them anymore [EPA? environment thing?] He gave me a nice ten pounder for my car. Maybe it was just a MN. thing.

I had to get EPA Section 609 Certification to buy R-12 refrigerant because it's a CFC, might be a similar thing?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by delorean4ever View Post
    I had to get EPA Section 609 Certification to buy R-12 refrigerant because it's a CFC, might be a similar thing?
    It's somewhat more extreme than even that. Details for those who are truly interested can be found here: http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/fire/qa.html
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    00910

Did anyone ever figure out if a car dud catch fire?
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Some information on maintaining fire extinguishers...

Fire extinguishers should be inspected monthly by the owner - make sure it is there, not obstructed and easy to get to, check the pressure gauge or indicator, check for physical damage, check the discharge nozzle for obstructions, and verify the safety seal is intact. Simply put you want to make sure it is there and ready to use.

Fire extinguishers or their agents don't really "expire" (with one exception*). A typical dry chemical (ABC) extinguisher should have an internal inspection preformed 6 years after the date of manufacture and in 6 year intervals after that. 12 years after the date of manufacture (and 12 year intervals after that) the extinguisher should have a hydrostatic pressure test. The 6 year internal inspection can be done the same time as the hydrostatic test. So the service schedule for a fire extinguisher purchased today should be:
    2012 - Manufactured
    2018 - 6 year internal inspection
    2024 - Hydrostatic test
    2030 - 6 year internal inspection
    2036 - Hydrostatic test

The same service schedule above applies to Halon extinguishers. Carbon Dioxide, wet chemical, and water type will have a different service schedule.

*There is one exception to having a fire extinguisher serviced. A "disposable" type of extinguisher. Typically bought at the hardware store, it will specify on the label that the extinguisher is non-refillable and must be disposed of after any use. These cannot be serviced and are good for 12 years after the date of manufacture. After the 12th year, dispose of the extinguisher and go buy a new one. So if you have any disposable fire extinguishers around your house with a date of 2000 or before, take them out of service and replace.

Personally, I have two fire extinguishers in my DeLorean. My primary is a 3lb Halon BC extinguisher that I have placed directly behind the drivers seat on the parcel shelf. I have not figured out a good way to mount it, but like where it is. My backup is a 2 1/2lb Dry Chem ABC extinguisher I keep in the luggage compartment. I like the Halon because if I need to use it, it will not leave a mess. This model also has a hose, nice if I have a fire in a hard to reach place like behind the dash. It does have it's limitations in that it is not rated for a class A fire (ordinary combustibles) but is rated for flammable liquids and live electrical components. But that's why I have my "backup". I figure I can knock down the fire with the Halon which will give me time to get the Dry Chem out and ready if the fire reignites.

Keep in mind Halon extinguishers of this small size are not rated for typical "Class A" fires such as wood, paper, plastics.

2012-08-10_19-15-43_55.jpg

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    I keep one behind my driver's seat. Tucks in nicely with how my seat is positioned. .
    This only works if you are short.

tall guy
    |
    |
    V
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    Did anyone ever figure out if a car dud catch fire?
    Well, I was hoping someone might have been able to tell us by now? That was the whole reason I posted this. Believe me I would LOVE to hear it was not a DeLorean....
    -Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast