FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Won't start

My VIN:    0686, 11617

Won't start

So I took the timing cover, intake and a few brackets off my car to paint and clean up. I finished getting it together and it won't start. It runs for about a second then dies. I have good spark. I pulled the injector and tried to start and no fuel is getting to the injector. The fuel pump runs and i tried jumping the rpm relay and still no fuel at the injector. I replaced all the fuel lines (with stainless steel), did I get one mixed up? I can't seam to find any pictures of the fuel dist, that shows what's connected to what. Anyone have any ideas?
    Go Stainless or go home

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Had to look for it since the old site went down.

All your lines should be routed like so.

Sorry about the image size. At least the cylinder position on the the engine is the same as the fuel distributor.

Perfect, that's just what I need.
    Go Stainless or go home

Well I checked and all the fuel lines are connected correctly, still dies after 2 seconds of running. Seams to be running out of fuel. I has good fuel pressure and when you run in injector is sprayes good. Spark is good and strong. ????
    Go Stainless or go home

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I had the EXACT same thing happen when I put my engine back together after taking it apart for cleaning/painting.

In my case, it turned out simply to be that the idle speed motor wasn't seated properly. Verify that by taking off the air cleaner, pressing down on the air metering plate so you can see inside, and shining a flashlight in the general area of where the idle speed motor tube goes into the mixture unit. If you see light, it is not mounted properly.

Thanks to bitsyncmaster for that tip.

So I tried putting the connector for the WUR to the cold start valve and it starts, very poorly. It seams it's just running off the CSV. I have a new WUR (rebuilt from John Hervy) More checking will be needed.
    Go Stainless or go home