FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steering shaft bushing bad again! This one didn't last too long...

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Steering shaft bushing bad again! This one didn't last too long...

So when I got the car less than 2 years ago, the steering shaft bushing was one of the first things I replaced. I have probably put about 6000 miles on the car since then, and just the other day I noticed that I had picked up a significant amount of steering up/down play again. I checked, and yep... bad bushing, again.

SO I won't be getting another bushing from DMCH, because that sort of a lifespan is just ridiculous. What bushing is going to have a better lifespan? I don't mind about difficulty of instillation, pulling the steering column is no big deal.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    So when I got the car less than 2 years ago, the steering shaft bushing was one of the first things I replaced. I have probably put about 6000 miles on the car since then, and just the other day I noticed that I had picked up a significant amount of steering up/down play again. I checked, and yep... bad bushing, again.

SO I won't be getting another bushing from DMCH, because that sort of a lifespan is just ridiculous. What bushing is going to have a better lifespan? I don't mind about difficulty of instillation, pulling the steering column is no big deal.
    Don't blame it immediately on the vendor.
    You mentioned only having the car some 2 years.
    Did it have a bad bushing at that time?
    If so the previous owner probably has not been interested in replacing the bad bushing immediately.
    If the steering shaft runs around in a bad bushing it may get damages.
    These damages can have caused a "premature" end of the bushing's life.
    Therefore, before replacing the bushing, check the shaft for damages caused by hitting the bushings seat.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Get the Delrin bushing from Toby at DPNW. It will last the lifetime of the car and is a perfect fit with no rattles. The steering column glides over it like there's nothing there. You will have a bit of a time getting it to pop into the hole because Delrin doesn't "give" very much but resist the temptation to cut it in half, like some people advocate. It is possible to pop it through the firewall in one piece.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Another +1 for Toby's. Pain in the ass to install, but should last forever.

My VIN:    3299

I'll vouch for John Herveys. Got it in the 2005 time area. Had it 7 years - absolutely no troubles whatsoever,
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

In many cases it is not the part that is bad so much as the way it is installed. Parts can be damaged by improper installation. There do not seem to be many complaints about any vender's bushings. The Delron bushing is a great piece but it can be difficult to install.
    David Teitelbaum

The trick with the Delrin bushing is to use a TAB and a lot of fender washers. Thread the TAB through a bunch of washers larger than the bushing, then the bushing, then the hole in the firewall, then a bunch more washers, then the nut. Crank down on both ends (you may need a friend to hold one for you) and the bushing will pop into place with a really loud POP.

Obviously the steering column needs to come out for this to work, which is a PITA in and of itself. But worth it.
    Jon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

To make an installer get a short pipe nipple large enough to fit over the bushing, a couple of large flat washers, a short piece of threaded rod and some nuts. Once you position the bushing and assemble the installer, you just tighten the nuts and squeeze it right in. It does require removal of the steering column. I found once I installed the bushing I had to file the inner hole a little so the column would angle correctly and not rub so hard on the bushing. I also dislike cutting the bushing to put it in.
    David

My VIN:    3154

I have to do this too

Just got 3154 delivered to my house this week, and on first drive I noticed that the steering column is rattling around and hitting the firewall where I think the bushing used to be. It's pretty nasty right with some kind of grease or something so I can't tell quite yet until I get it cleaned up if there is anything there. I was wondering what a TAB is mentioned in jawn101's post. Can someone fill me in? I want to take the column out to see if it's been ground up since I don't know how long it's been like this so I want to make a tool to install the bushing.

Thanks,
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by mowpow View Post
    Just got 3154 delivered to my house this week, and on first drive I noticed that the steering column is rattling around and hitting the firewall where I think the bushing used to be. It's pretty nasty right with some kind of grease or something so I can't tell quite yet until I get it cleaned up if there is anything there. I was wondering what a TAB is mentioned in jawn101's post. Can someone fill me in? I want to take the column out to see if it's been ground up since I don't know how long it's been like this so I want to make a tool to install the bushing.

Thanks,
    Jake
    TAB is a trailing arm bolt. Most of us have them laying around having recently replaced or planning to replace them. It's just a conveniently long and proper diameter bolt.
    Jon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast