FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Re-attaching Upper Door Panels

My VIN:    10452

Club(s):   (DOI)

Re-attaching Upper Door Panels

Hi all, I pulled my upper door panels. One reason was to fix my passenger side window and to properly reattach it to the guide. I am having trouble reattaching them. I don't understand how that black metal bracket that is curved works. I never payed attention to them when I was taking them off. I should have tried to reattach one before taking the other one off to compare things but you know live and learn.

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

It sticks out a bit, correct?

I'm working from (sketchy) memory here, but isn't it an extra support tab? You slide it into the door, then position the panel for the tabs to meet the slots by the vent/lock.inside handle and fir trees to their respective holes. I remember dealing with something like that on someone else's door, but it's been a while.

Are your upper panels plastic or a sort of fiberboard?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_29 View Post
    Hi all, I pulled my upper door panels....I am having trouble reattaching them. I don't understand how that black metal bracket that is curved works.
    No worries. You probably are asking about the black stamped metal clip that's riveted at the very rear corner of the upper door panel.

When re-attaching the upper panel the plastic fins toward the front and middle of the bottom of the panel get dropped into the slots in the door handle bracket as the fir trees are seated into the door just below the glass working from front to rear. This is most easily done with the interior door handle escutcheon out so that the panel padding doesn't bunch or tear against it as the panel slides downward. As the last rear fir trees are seated the panel is still not against the door at the rear because it has to go over the vertical trim pad at the rear of the glass AND that curved bracket is stuck against the door, holding the rear of the panel an inch out from the door.

With one hand pushing/bending the end of the curved, springy bracket upward (in, toward the glass) and the other hand guiding the end of the door panel past the vertical trim piece you pop the end of the bracket over the inside edge of the stainless opening at which point it will want to spring back into place and pull the panel the rest of the way toward the door as you push the panel toward it. Then the escutcheon goes back on and you re-check the seating of the fir trees to complete the job.

Others may have had luck inserting the bracket into the door opening first and then working in the fins and the trees after that. I haven't.

Photos show the sequence seen from the point where the panel is "hung up" on the bracket, with the panel trees and fins already home. Rear of right door shown in open position. Second photo is a close-up of the bracket.

IMG_1760.jpg IMG_1759.jpg IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1765.jpg

For future reference this rear bracket is a good place to start the panel removal. The rear of the panel can be be popped outward by hand until the bracket disengages from the door. I staged the shots without removing the panel, only popping the back of the panel out to show the bracket where it doesn't seem to fit - but it does...

My VIN:    10452

Club(s):   (DOI)

Thanks Cory and Rich. I was able to get them popped in no problem. Cory, to answer your question. I think mine are made of fiberboard.

My VIN:    05141

I learned that it is waise to renew fir-tees up front near the mirror, becasue re-using the old ones it would never sit tight and tend to raise a little. Standing outside of the car would be visible too.

John

Steering with power