FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Crank no start.. Please Help!!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    You are right about all that.. That idle control switch is giving me a hard time too.. What is the FTE switch? The air valve and hoses were gone when i got it (about 2wks ago) but i read that stuff may not even be necessary so i got a duct to connect the element housing to the cold air duct and just leave the rest out (i hope thats ok). What else looks non factory?? Been looking at these cars for years and years and just dont really know what your looking at till you have one in front of you (its always harder than you think.. lucky me)
    Might want to get an original idle microswitch to replace it. The FTE is full-throttle enrichment switch and should be positioned just to the right of the thermostat housing so that the throttle spool hits it when you go wide-open throttle. Cold air duct to the pontoon is fine, I just didn't see it in your photo. Where does the hose from the oil breather cap currently route to? What is that big cylinder on the firewall (to the left of the ingition ballast resistor) connected to?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Well i tell ya what.. Thats my engine.. I cant believe you have a pic of my car but it was from alabama.. Thats my car for sure, the after market coolant jar and cap, the hose off the side of the pic (i did order one and fixed that). Thats crazy.. When or Why did you see the car? Gotta love that dash right?..(ugh). But i do like the custom seats. Any info you have on that pic would be great. Thank you so much
    Sorry, nothing too exciting. Just from the eBay ad, I think.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Might want to get an original idle microswitch to replace it. The FTE is full-throttle enrichment switch and should be positioned just to the right of the thermostat housing so that the throttle spool hits it when you go wide-open throttle. Cold air duct to the pontoon is fine, I just didn't see it in your photo. Where does the hose from the oil breather cap currently route to? What is that big cylinder on the firewall (to the left of the ingition ballast resistor) connected to?
    I will look for those replacement parts. I do want to try to get her as close to factory as i can. Im not sure what that cylinder is on the firewall, that pic is from a previous owner but it looks just the way it is now (i just got it 2wks ago). Any ideas on what this aftermarket stuff could be would be helpful. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Sorry, nothing too exciting. Just from the eBay ad, I think.
    Oooo... Awwww

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Can you post a pic of the ends of the mystery cylinder please?

Perhaps we can work out if it is fuel or vacuum related.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Can you post a pic of the ends of the mystery cylinder please?

Perhaps we can work out if it is fuel or vacuum related.
    You know in that pic it shows the fuel mixture plate looks to sit flush with the opening .. when i recieved the car the PO had tape wraped around the rubber center piece almost to shim it so their would be a slight opening at top all the way around the edges.. Any thoughts ??

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

You know in that pic it shows the fuel mixture plate looks to sit flush with the opening .. when i recieved the car the PO had tape wraped around the rubber center piece almost to shim it so their would be a slight opening at top all the way around the edges.. Any thoughts ??
    Wow... what? Sounds like a LOT of compensating was going on for running issues.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    0934

Im not sure what that cylinder is on the firewall....Any ideas on what this aftermarket stuff could be would be helpful.
    The Mystery Cylinder mounted to the firewall might be a vacuum servo for a vintage '80's aftermarket cruise control. That's where most of them were located when folks retrofitted it. Look for a vac hose to one side or the other, probably on the left, where a black hose is visible in the photo, plus a secondary linkage/cable from the right side of the cylinder around the back of the engine up to the front-mounted throttle spool. The linkage might be gone or not.

If that's what the Myst.Cyl. is then it suggests other recommendations relative to the throttle's reluctance to idle without some help. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Wow... what? Sounds like a LOT of compensating was going on for running issues.
    Yea tell me about it. I see more every time i check it out (great).. Is there supposed to be a slight opening around that plate or should it sit flush with the opening and sit against the rubber center piece ??

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The Mystery Cylinder mounted to the firewall might be a vacuum servo for a vintage '80's aftermarket cruise control. That's where most of them were located when folks retrofitted it. Look for a vac hose to one side or the other, probably on the left, where a black hose is visible in the photo, plus a secondary linkage/cable from the right side of the cylinder around the back of the engine up to the front-mounted throttle spool. The linkage might be gone or not.

If that's what the Myst.Cyl. is then it suggests other recommendations relative to the throttle's reluctance to idle without some help. Let us know.
    Ha! I think your right! I do have a terrible after market cruise control arm bolted to the side of the column cover.. I wanted to remove that anyway, so now at least i know i can remove that thing.. Thank you.. You are good! Any other tip or hint would be great .. Im goning to try to post some more pics for you delorean detectives .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast