FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Crank no start.. Please Help!!

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    Yea tell me about it. I see more every time i check it out (great).. Is there supposed to be a slight opening around that plate or should it sit flush with the opening and sit against the rubber center piece ??
    Mine sits flush with the engine off. It will never hit the rubber bumper unless you break something.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    Ha! I think your right! I do have a terrible after market cruise control arm bolted to the side of the column cover.. I wanted to remove that anywa. Any other tip or hint would be great ..
    OK, now you know what you have there on the firewall. You may already have the Cruise Removal project well in hand.

Rip the servo and the bracket off. Find the control wiring back from the steering column and expect to see some funny wire taps somewhere up there. Your call as to when to clean up the control switch and dash wiring. Remove the vacuum tube to the servo/can on at the firewall and plug whatever's left. You can tidy it up later. As you know by now there was never a factory cruise control option for D's.

The main thing to clear out is any remainder of the secondary throttle linkage from the cruise servo up to the throttle spool. It can only help your idle situation, to say nothing of a potential safety improvement.

While you are looking at your throttle spool to verify that the cruise linkage is gone check to see that the throttle spool return spring is on the tighter of the two positions - it might help settle the idle. Have seen D's with the OEM spool spring disengaged or broken/missing and some weirdly-added add-on throttle spring trying in vain to do that job.

Ooooops! I just now see "your" engine bay photo that your engine shows it's indeed missing that part. Lord knows what you have in there as a throttle spring.

Get one of these and install it, then take out whatever was added in its place. 5 minute job. Do this before worrying whether your idle microswitch is hanging up.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6414-qua...pring-upr.aspx

Photo below is taken looking at throttle spool/quadrant from the coolant tank. Second/tighter spring position shown where the spring engages the spool tabs.

IMG_1782.jpg
    Last edited by Rich; 08-15-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Further to the post above - Am not seeing any throttle spool/quadrant return spring on this throttle spool/quadrant. Zoomed in from engine bay photo in this thread.

spring-gone.jpg

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Good catch, Rich.

It would be a good idea if the OP posts a new photo of what the engine bay looks like today. I pulled the posted one from the ebay ad, but who knows when the PO took the picture.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are a lot of things that are not right which means someone not familiar with Deloreans has been working on the car:
    Wrong pressure cap
    wire wrapped around coolant hose (to keep it away from the belt)
    missing coil cover
    non-original idle switch
    oil filler vent hose going the wrong way
    wiring not routed correctly
    throttle recall cover missing
    leakage from thermostat and/or bleeder screw
    Some of this is minor or cosmetic but it indicates that you must do further investigation and fix everything that was "fixed" previously. Having full and positive control over the throttle is VERY important and is a BIG safety issue. I would remove ALL parts of the cruise control and make sure the throttle has no play and the springs return it to idle properly.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11596

Anyone live near OP? Unbelievable what kinds of things could be fixed/noted/prioritize in about 2 hours. So many issues that simply need an experienced hand.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

It would be great if he could post some more photos of the engine bay, with some closeups of the problem areas... that would sure be easier than working off of one grainy, poorly lit photo that may not even represent the current state of the motor
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Further to the post above - Am not seeing any throttle spool/quadrant return spring on this throttle spool/quadrant. Zoomed in from engine bay photo in this thread.

spring-gone.jpg
    Well Rich you are the man... I checked out the servo yesterday and followed the lines, turns out the cable that runs to the right side of the bay was frayed and snapped and just hanging there(i asume that was going for the throttle) so that i guess thats good. The other side of the servo was tube running down to a splitter (T connecting piece) and going into a hose from the left side of the bay, looked like he just cut the hose in half and added the "splitter",, and some wiring going into the fire wall (hopefully i can just cut that out). You are dead on about the spring, this guy has a spring wrapped around the (hammer) that actually pushes in the idle switch button, no wonder theres not enough pressure to do the job.. Ordering that spring TODAY. The list is growing.. I just want to get her going again.. O and this pic of the bay is recent and not much has been canged yet. I did get the new air filter and the hoses to connect boths sides of the air filter housing..

Now it seems the issues just keep coming.. The more i check her out i see more and more connectiong and wiring just hanging loose and not connecting to anything !! I am going to post some pics like TOMORROW to show you guys what kind of trouble im in.. Thank you so much for all your help you are the best !

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Good catch, Rich.

It would be a good idea if the OP posts a new photo of what the engine bay looks like today. I pulled the posted one from the ebay ad, but who knows when the PO took the picture.
    Yea i know .. Ive been so busy trying to get her new home ready.. Thanks for even posting the pics. They are recent, havent changed a whole lot yet. I did get the hoses needed to connect both sides of the air filter housing though.. Baby steps. Putting up some pics tomorrow to show you what kind of mess im in

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast