FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Hard to Shift

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Hard to Shift

As usual, I decide to drive the thing to work and something new goes wrong. This time, its suddenly become very difficult to shift gears. The car runs fine, no weird noises from the transmission, but I have to use a lot of force to get the car through the shift points. I went in and made sure there was lubricant on all the joints I can see from the open shift plate, but still no go. As I was making sure to work in the lubricant, I noticed a metal on metal sounding squeal coming a bit further back under the arm rest. It got worse as I moved the shifter till it became quite loud. Probably the last of whatever lub was in there working out. Problem is I can't see how I can get access to look inside and/or lubricate whatever is making noise.
    Last edited by AirmanPika; 09-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Perhaps stating the obvious but is the fluid level OK?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check the oil level in the transmission. Make sure the clutch is working. Raise the car and check the linkage and grease it all up.
    David Teitelbaum

Where exactly is the pivot for the shift "cable"? I see that it attaches via a bolt somewhere in the frame but I can't make out exactly where and if its easy to get to. Its the only linkage point I haven't been able to reach aside from the transmission attach point itself. And yea I intend to check the fluid too since I'll be under there. Its due a drain and refill anyway. Refresh my memory...what's a good fluid type for the transmission? I obviously will have to deal with cold weather herel

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Where exactly is the pivot for the shift "cable"? I see that it attaches via a bolt somewhere in the frame but I can't make out exactly where and if its easy to get to. Its the only linkage point I haven't been able to reach aside from the transmission attach point itself. And yea I intend to check the fluid too since I'll be under there. Its due a drain and refill anyway. Refresh my memory...what's a good fluid type for the transmission? I obviously will have to deal with cold weather herel
    Just forward of the accumulator hole.
    Does it make any difference if the engine is running or not? That's a very good quick check. If it is fine with the engine off, you have a clutch problem. If it is still hard to shift with the engine off, it is either the linkage or the transmission.

Now disconnect (under the car) the cable from the transmission. Also disconnect the rod that goes forward from the transmission. If the shifter is still hard to move, it is the linkage. If it is easy, try to move the link arm right on the trans.

My bet is that the pivot bolt is binding up and/or about to break. Get the car up in the air an look just forward of the accumulator. The pivot bolt screws into a welded nut on the frame. There should be a lock nut on the bottom. If that is missing it is possible for the pivot bolt to overtighten if it was not installed properly causing the pivot to bind.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Its hard to shift regardless. I'll take a look at that stuff tomorrow (hopefully) and get this dang thing solved. I just find it odd that it was so sudden. I literally drove it fine Saturday, and then this AM I go to put it in reverse and nearly ripped my arm off.

I love it when its an easy fix. It was just the bell crank needing relubricated.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I would not stop there. If that needed lubrication chances are the entire system can be helped by lubing it all up. Remember, it probably hasn't been lubricated since it was new, over 30 years ago! Was the car driven through deep water recently? Lube the front end too.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Huhuhuhuhuhuh, lube
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I would not stop there. If that needed lubrication chances are the entire system can be helped by lubing it all up. Remember, it probably hasn't been lubricated since it was new, over 30 years ago! Was the car driven through deep water recently? Lube the front end too.
    David Teitelbaum
    No water, but there was a gas leak when I installed the new accumulator that likely washed out all the grease that was left. At least thats what I suspect. Anyway yea, I greased the entire linkage and I get to the other areas commonly.