FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Purcahsed Vin712: My God, What Have I Done?!

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Wow, a great story. The price negotiation you had was very similar to the one I had when I bought my car, "i'll take it!".

I really hope you can knuckle down and get to work on 712 soon, too often people buy these kind of projects and we never hear about it again, one great thing about this forum and community is that we love to share the progress on our cars no matter how little progress it may be.

So a serious question, If you werent even into driving cars, How good are you with wrenches? Do you have much experience working on machinery? You are going to have to do alot.

On a lighter note, one of the first things you bought was a car cover? It appears that poor car has been without shelter for many years so I doubt it would be offended by a little more dust. But I understand, one of the first things I did to my car after bringing it home was alot of cleaning.
    Check out my thread, cosmetically my car wasnt as bad but mechanically our cars probably are the same. So check out some of the things that re in store for you.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?37...ration-of-1768

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatoona View Post
    ...As for purchasing a better DeLorean, one that's in working order, I could... but that would mean seeing the car I currently now have, ultimately end up crushed or taken apart to be used as a parts car. Something I, even with the short amount of time I have been with this DeLorean would be extremely saddened by.

I don't know what it is with this DeLorean #712 and I, but I want nothing in the world but to see her running again and fixed up. Does this sound a bit corny or nuts?!
    welcome to the forum!

i think its awesome that youre going to restore 00712. i too hate seeing DeLoreans crushed or parted out, especially the early VINs. you will find everything you need here!

im definitely looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Welcome to DeLorean ownership!
    You've got a great pile of possible junk there.
    As others mentioned probably way too much money you paid for it.

However it's your money and now it's your responsibility to make it into a good looking DeLorean again.
    Take your time and spend whatever money is needed well.
    This car is also know to flow your money away from you like the Niagara if you'r not careful.
    Do most of it yourself and spendings will stay within reasonable limits.
    It also helps to get you familiar with the ins and outs of this car.
    Besides that it makes you trusting your car once it's ready to hit the road.

Use all of us here to fill in the gaps in your knowlegde.
    Since you're in the LA area, try and contact my friend Tom Tait.
    He's a knowlegdeable and very practical D owner and surely will advise if asked.

I do not wish to start advising here, so be our guest and ask whatever you need or want to know.

Good luck!
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post

On a lighter note, one of the first things you bought was a car cover? It appears that poor car has been without shelter for many years so I doubt it would be offended by a little more dust.
    I understand completely. An orphan turns up in your life, cold and wet, and the first thing you do is put a blanket over her. Then you work on cleaning and feeding her.

Looking forward to reading about the adventure.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    03572

Big job ahead but get that engine running and it will motavate you to keep working on it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Congrats on the new obsession! I'm in the middle of a complete frame-off restoration myself, so I'm very familiar with what's going through your head right now.

Just remember, take it slowly.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    5482

I've seen this car a month or so ago when I was scouring the internet for my car. I believe it was on Craigslist. Neat story how you happened upon it (taking a leak at a gas station).

I think you have a realistic budget getting her back in presentable condition and making her go again. And I admire your desire to fix up this one rather than buy a restored car. I hope you don't slip into that funk that so many project car owners run into... when you realize you're pouring money into another project that you'll never get back if you decide to sell down the road. I've been there before. But I do think your circumstances are different, being a non-car owner previous to this. At least you only have this car to put money and effort into and not several like some of us.

Start a thread or blog and post pictures and information about your project as things progress. We all want to see how it turns out. Congrats and cheers to you and #712!

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Do you have some garage space and tools to do a few things yourself?

My VIN:    4534

Great story and I'm glad you're going to save her. I know what it is like to fall for what others would call a piece of junk. No one else can see the potential except you.

Keep in mind you can sell off almost any piece you have replaced to recoup some of the cost. Take those upper door panels for instance. The vinyl might be shredded but if the backs are in good shape they'd be worth it to someone who has good vinyl but broken panels.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Good for you ... That's the right attitude to have. These cars are special and they take a special kind of person to own and maintain them It sounds like you are just that type of person.

Good luck on your quest, sir.

Cheers.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Gatoona View Post
    I don't know what it is with this DeLorean #712 and I, but I want nothing in the world but to see her running again and fixed up. Does this sound a bit corny or nuts?!
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast