FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Purcahsed Vin712: My God, What Have I Done?!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Go buy a non running car and leave it at the sellers house, buy a new AAA policy and tell them you would like them to tow a non-running car your just purchased. Let me know what they say.

Anything else is just a lie. If others can sleep at night after doing this then go right ahead. I might like to start crap on this forum but I do believe in trying to be honest.

If a person can't afford $130 to tow a Delorean, they really should reconsider the purchase.
    All "carb-influenced" and "man without a brain" stuff aside, this is the most intelligent thing I have seen here so far. I 100% agree with exactly what Steve wrote. Do it right and you can expect the Karma-Gods will reward you for it in some other way down the road. Good post Steve

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are having a car towed directly to a shop for repairs the shop will typically pick up the tow and work it into the price for repairing the car especially if you are giving them a lot of work. They will have a reliable tow service and will make all of the arrangements. You should have the car insured before moving it. AAA won't tow a car that does not have license plates and is not registered and up to date. That policy does vary though so you *might* be able to talk your way out of that requirement. Do not try to move it yourself, the tires may not even turn.
    David Teitelbaum

But does it provide coverage for a non running car that was purchased before the AAA policy was bought?
    Yup. It doesn't matter. The stipulation is that the member is with the car. I'm a AAA platinum member. Have been ever since I bought a '71 VW bus in TN and had to drive it back to VA. She broke down 170 miles out of the destination. Called AAA upgraded to platinum for the increased benefits and the 1 time 200 mile tow. And I don't feel guilty about it. Why should I? I'm gonna pay for it in the long run, just not all at once.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Yup. It doesn't matter. The stipulation is that the member is with the car. I'm a AAA platinum member. Have been ever since I bought a '71 VW bus in TN and had to drive it back to VA. She broke down 170 miles out of the destination. Called AAA upgraded to platinum for the increased benefits and the 1 time 200 mile tow. And I don't feel guilty about it. Why should I? I'm gonna pay for it in the long run, just not all at once.
    So what's your point? You were already a AAA member BEFORE the bus broke down.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Go buy a non running car and leave it at the sellers house, buy a new AAA policy and tell them you would like them to tow a non-running car your just purchased. Let me know what they say.

Anything else is just a lie. If others can sleep at night after doing this then go right ahead. I might like to start crap on this forum but I do believe in trying to be honest.

If a person can't afford $130 to tow a Delorean, they really should reconsider the purchase.
    I specifically addressed option 1 - Phone a friend with an AAA policy. I said nothing about buying a new one just for this car.

Why AAA doesn't limit their coverage to just cars that you personally own is beyond me, but they don't. (I think they used to, but don't any more). The member just has to be present with his/her card. There is nothing illegal or dishonest about it. Most cars they tow are "non-running" to varying degrees.

And as a matter of fact, I did do this. I was an established AAA member and I was moving house. I called them up, explained that my (non-DeLorean) project car wouldn't start and could I get a flat bed to take me from A to B. I was completely honest about it. They had every chance to say No, but within the hour there was a truck in my driveway. IIRC, that was the first time I had used their services in 5 years of being a member, so they still came out ahead.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    All "carb-influenced" and "man without a brain" stuff aside, this is the most intelligent thing I have seen here so far. I 100% agree with exactly what Steve wrote. Do it right and you can expect the Karma-Gods will reward you for it in some other way down the road. Good post Steve
    I completely agree. Above board is worth something. Good post, Steve... and good support from those who have voiced agreement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I specifically addressed option 1 - Phone a friend with an AAA policy. I said nothing about buying a new one just for this car.

Why AAA doesn't limit their coverage to just cars that you personally own is beyond me, but they don't. (I think they used to, but don't any more). The member just has to be present with his/her card. There is nothing illegal or dishonest about it. Most cars they tow are "non-running" to varying degrees.

And as a matter of fact, I did do this. I was an established AAA member and I was moving house. I called them up, explained that my (non-DeLorean) project car wouldn't start and could I get a flat bed to take me from A to B. I was completely honest about it. They had every chance to say No, but within the hour there was a truck in my driveway. IIRC, that was the first time I had used their services in 5 years of being a member, so they still came out ahead.
    Ron sucks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I completely agree. Above board is worth something. Good post, Steve... and good support from those who have voiced agreement.
    Since we are somewhat on the topic of honesty, I should also mention that I don't cheat on my taxes. When I bought 16510 I paid about $2,300 in taxes (including title and license). When I bought my Mustang I paid about $280 in taxes (including title and license).

I could have lied about the value on each vehicle's bill of sale as many people do but I didn't. This country has been good to me and I believe in supporting it.
    Last edited by stevedmc; 08-17-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Since we are somewhat on the topic of honesty, I should also mention that I don't cheat on my taxes. When I bought 16510 I paid about $2,300 in taxes (including title and license). When I bought my Mustang I paid about $280 in taxes (including title and license).

I could have lied about the value on each vehicle's bill of sale as many people do but I didn't. This country has been good to me and I believe in supporting it.
    How great for you. But I don't think anyone gives a shit.

I do say, how wonderful that this forum can boast the "moral high ground" of stevedmc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    How great for you. But I don't think anyone gives a shit.

I do say, how wonderful that this forum can boast the "moral high ground" of stevedmc.
    Feel free to audit my dmctalk account.

Username: stevedmc
    Password: dmctalksucks

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast