FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New stainless fuel lines

My VIN:    10398

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

New stainless fuel lines

I don't post here very offten but I read on the board almost everyday and this board is priceless in entertainment value as well as Delorean info. Eitherway I was looking on DMC CA website and saw they are selling new stainless Steel fuel line kit for 184.95 without a core charge, well John H. wants 299.95 plus core and god only knows if you'll ever see the money back.

Has anyone seen the stainless lines from DMC CA in person or on a Delorean? I have a number of DMC CA parts on my D and they've always been good quality but I'm woundering how they got such a good price point?

Steve M

My VIN:    03572

I have John's from about 6 years ago and must say they were professional made. But back then he did not require a core and the price was about $160 (from memory). You would have to get a comment of someone that got a set lately if you consider buying from him.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

First you have to know what is in both sets, otherwise you may compare apples with pears.

John sells a full kit (not only the fuel lines to the injectors (also the CSV) and CPR, but also the FV, fuel filter to FD and return line).
    His core charge concerns getting the banjo bolts enabling him to use them again after having them checked and plated.

AFAIK the DMC kit only contains the injector lines, CSV and those for the CPR.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    03572

Opps.....I was taking about the brake lines in my post.

But I do have John's full set of SS fuel lines. They are made nicely but if I were buying another set I would get ones covered with plastic. That SS is very abrasive.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Opps.....I was taking about the brake lines in my post.

But I do have John's full set of SS fuel lines. They are made nicely but if I were buying another set I would get ones covered with plastic. That SS is very abrasive.
    And looks extremely tacky, IMHO. The black covered SS lines look a lot better.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

I bought my kit from John, and they are really nice.
    I still did not put them on the car, but the kit is complete, 13 lines and now he's got the line from the fuel accumulator too

My VIN:    10398

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

trustworth source

Not to start another John bashing thread but to keep it short I've had bad experiences with him on parts as well as getting core charges returned so I have no plans to purchase anything from him in the near future.

But you are correct the DMC CA set comes with nine fuel lines vs the 13 piece the John sells, so I guess there price is not so cheap after all. But I still like the fact that DMC CA doesn't require a core charge and it come from a much more trustworth source. (in my opinion)

My VIN:    6125

I have a set of John's S/S fuel lines on my car covered with the black teflon sleeves. They look very close to stock and are just slightly smaller than the stock thermoplastic hoses w/ rubber covers. Working with Hervey can be a challenge, but the parts are very well made by a 3rd party that John uses. The core charge simply involved sending back my old banjo bolts/hoses and I recieved fresh zinc plated parts in return. I replaced every single fuel line including the supply and return lines that connect to the fuel filter and return hard line. So far I have been extremely happy with the hoses and no longer fear leaks from the old plastic lines.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I have his SS fuel lines and they have been fine. More flexible, opens up the engine bay, and I don't mind the look. In fact I like them, they match my S/S brake lines and lower speedo cable. They fit well and the installation was easy. The plated ends looked fantastic and he doesn't charge the core for them up front, you just have a set amount of time to return the old ends before he charges you. I think we've all had our troubles with the guy but this particular part was just fine.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    3299

John Hervey's SS lines are WELL worth their money. Had mine for nearly 8.5 years - not had one single problem.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast