FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reversing Exhaust Manifolds

Banned

Outlet of one of the OEM manifolds is cast at an angle (can't remember which one). If you turned it around, it would be pointing towards the charcoal canister or the coolant expansion tank. You'd need a pretty wicked reverse bend to reach the rear fascia exhaust recess in the limited space between the engine and the back of the car.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    16655

Since there's a set of Premier manifolds up on eBay fairly cheap, I'll probably pick those up and do some playing around with them.

I hadn't planned on pulling off the manifolds (as implementing a setup like Bill uses doesn't normally require doing so), so this bring up another question- how difficult will it be to do so (and put them/new ones back on) with the engine still in the car? I'm planning on replacing the engine mounts as well, but am just planning on jacking up the engine/transmission to do so vs. pulling it completely (after how much fun it was getting the transmission in and out last time I'm NOT in a hurry to do that again...), so I might have be bit better access to the manifolds then...

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
    Since there's a set of Premier manifolds up on eBay fairly cheap, I'll probably pick those up and do some playing around with them.

I hadn't planned on pulling off the manifolds (as implementing a setup like Bill uses doesn't normally require doing so), so this bring up another question- how difficult will it be to do so (and put them/new ones back on) with the engine still in the car? I'm planning on replacing the engine mounts as well, but am just planning on jacking up the engine/transmission to do so vs. pulling it completely (after how much fun it was getting the transmission in and out last time I'm NOT in a hurry to do that again...), so I might have be bit better access to the manifolds then...
    if your mani's have never been off? Extremely difficult. But if they've never been off, you are due for exhaust leaks on both sides anyway. Whatever anyone charges for taking off the mani's and putting a new gasket in there is worth it.

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXBD001292 SCEDT26T6DD020098

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I have two sets of the Eagle Premier manifolds. One set is from the zero mile crate engine I put into 001292 and the other from a junk yard 3.0 that I picked up to practice on. I've wondered if the Eagle Premier manifolds would be a better option as far as flow goes (for the 3.0 and the stock DMC engine). They seem to look better, but the flange is different and curved downward, IIRC. I have some pictures I'll try and post.

I decided to reuse the stock DMC manifolds and front pipe to make the exhaust portion of my conversion go smoothly. I'm planning to add a single turbo to the 3.0 in the next few months with the help of Gregg Zilb. His turbo 3.0 uses the stock DMC manifolds and front pipe, and I'm modeling mine after his. I can only assume that the Eagle Premier manifolds would be a better option than the stock DMC ones, but they would need to be reworked.

DPI Josh, you mentioned that you've had fitment issues, but it could be done. Can you elaborate on this? Did you keep them on the car? What did it take to make them fit? Did you cut off the flanges? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 20098; 06-22-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Adding manifold pictures
    - Josh

SCEDT26TXBD001292: Black 5 spd - Holley EFI 3.0L PRV - Custom TwinTurbo by DeLorean Industries
    SCEDT26T6DD020098: Grey 5 spd - K-Jet CIS 2.85L PRV

My VIN:    16655

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    if your mani's have never been off? Extremely difficult. But if they've never been off, you are due for exhaust leaks on both sides anyway. Whatever anyone charges for taking off the mani's and putting a new gasket in there is worth it.
    I've never taken mine off, but have no idea when they were last off.

I've been toying with taking the car to the exhaust shop I've worked with in the past on the Saturn and RX-7 and having them handle removing the existing exhaust hardware and installing the new stuff- including the manifolds.

Would be good to know about how the Premier manifolds would work before then, though. And hopefully soon, as the auction for them closes in 4 hours or so (has no bids and is buy-it-now, but may not be re-listed/be listed with a higher BIN price :P).

Banned

Premier manifolds look to be shaped similarly to the manifolds that came on my barge engine, which don't appear to be a good starting point:
    ExhaustManifoldsCompare.jpg

Bill Robertson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2