FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Limousine - Sketch to Stainless - Progress Photos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

DeLorean Limousine - Sketch to Stainless - Progress Photos

Yes...this is the Real DeLorean Limousine...from sketch to stainless.

This will be a General DeLorean Limo Progress Milestones thread, with photos.
    I plan to re-create the more detailed threads as well, with associated photos.

For those of you that do not know (or need a re-fresh), my DeLorean Limo
    idea was first sketched during DCS 2000 after I met JZD in person for the first
    time. Although I had hoped to finish this project many years ago and I also
    had hoped to give JZD a ride in it at a later DCS, neither happened before 2005.

Now, after creating a DeLorean Monster Truck (D Rex), a DeLorean Hovercraft
    (and 3 appearances on Discovery Channel), a DeLorean Roadster (in re-fresh)
    and a few other projects, it was time to give the DeLorean Limo some quality
    time, and hopefully, this project will be nearing its completion soon.

So, to start off this thread, sketch to stainless, is a photo of the modified sketch
    as of 2009 and a photo of the state of the stainless as of the Summer of 2010.

limosketch-rev2.jpg

DriverSideLimo.jpg

More threads, more details and more photos to come.

Later,
    Rich W.

My VIN:    11596

Awesome! Sorry if I missed it but do you have a stock engine in that thing?

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Hi Andy,

Although the engine and drive-train are not currently installed (and not 100% finalized), the engine that may be installed for DCS 2012
    is a custom 3.0L PRV that is not quite 50% DeLorean and 50% Eagle. This is an engine that I acquired from Marty Maier that he built
    in his Monster Garage many years ago. Eagle block, DeLorean heads, DeLorean engine cradle and the list goes on and on. The engine
    is show quality, which is why it may be installed for DCS 2012, even before I get a chance to test fire it, to see if it will come alive.

There is LOTS of drive-train work yet to be done and LOTS of interior work as well, so the entire project will be much closer to complete
    by DCS 2014, than it will be for DCS 2012, however the exterior will be close to about 90% complete, to be display-worthy at DCS 2012.

Later,
    Rich W.

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Awesome! Sorry if I missed it but do you have a stock engine in that thing?

Andy

Cool! How is Marty anyway? Haven't seen him online in years. He helped me a lot as a new owner around 2001/2002.

I hope the eagle engine has a little more powerful than stock. Wonder how much this thing will weigh when complete?
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Marty is doing well ... he has attended all the DCS Events and most of the other local Midwest events.
    Marty has been "playing" with a little Lotus lately, but he still has his Turbo powered DeLorean as well.

The normally aspirated 3.0L PRV puts out between 180hp to 200hp (stock) depending upon fuel delivery
    system (K-Jet, EFI, MegaSquirt, etc.), which should be a "good start" for the drive-train.

As for the DeLorean Limo weight, so far, it has weighed in significantly lighter than I had anticipated.
    For reference, the current weight of the D Limo, as it sits now, is much lighter than my Lexus GS400.

Later,
    Rich W.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

That is looking awesome Rich!

Yes, you are right, no-one at DCS will mind in the least that it isn't finished.

In fact you could even probably get so free labor if you have anything that can be done in small time-chunks.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

That would be a cool idea for a DCS project. Build a DeLorean from scratch. People sign up in teams and have to be at the work site on time so they can jump in and do their thing before the next group has to start. It would take a lot of pre-planning and groups would be encouraged to "practice" at home first so there isn't too much screwing around.
    I'm sure it would take the whole event duration but that could be the raffle car :-)

Andy
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

While the "Build a DeLorean at DCS" is an interesting idea, the DeLorean Engine Build at DCS 2006 did not go over as well as expected.

In any case, the "Build a DeLorean at DCS" idea is way off-topic for this discussion, so, its Back on Topic...

In reality, the DeLorean Limo has spent most of its life "idle", on the 36ft flatbed trailer, covered in packing blankets and silver tarps.
    Since it spends most of its time this way, I decided to post a few photos of the DeLorean Limo, covered, between the work sessions.

D-Limo-inside-on-trailer.jpg

D-Limo-blanketed.jpg

D-Limo-silver-tarped.jpg

Later,
    Rich W.

First time on all four tires (and just the tires)

Attaching a rather unexciting looking photo below, but it does represent a major step in progress this past weekend.

front-shock-simulators.JPG

This photo documents the first time the DeLorean Limo was "suspended" on only its tires, without the aid of blocks
    or shims, either under areas of the frame and/or under areas of the extended underbody. This is the front stance.

Unfortunately, the answer is NO to the question that may be asked regarding the installation of the Air Suspension.
    The Air Suspension System will not be installed in time for DCS 2012, so I had to install some suspension simulators.

A big thanks to Marty Maier (with his 3-D vision...Monster Garage reference, LOL) who helped me get past my view
    of simulating the suspension needs. Marty supplied me with the idea required to get some custom parts fabricated.

The current static stance of the front of the DeLorean Limo is a full 6" of clearance for the underbody and the frame,
    with the front fender openings sitting about 24" off the deck, with between 2.5" and 3" of "fender to tire" clearance.

Next big step will be rolling the D Limo off the trailer and seeing what it looks like on the ground (for the first time).

Huge thunder storms, with over 3" of rain (and several rounds of hail) prevented this step, over this past weekend.

Later,
    Rich W.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    Looks awesome Rich! Coming along beautifully! This is your design and it looks fantastic! But have you considered putting in extra windows between the doors or even a glass roof between the doors? Looks very dark inside.
    Well, you don't want the sun shining on the stripper pole!
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast