FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Check out the gaps in my doors.. Ugh!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

This is the kind of thing best done by an owner if possible. It is a trial-and-error kind of adjustment and takes a LOT of time. If you have to pay someone to do it, it can be expensive. The good news is if you do take it to someone like Rob who has a lot of experience, he will do it a lot faster than someone less experienced. Try it yourself. If you can't do any better or you mess it up it probably won't matter if you later decide to take it to Rob. You do have to remove the torsion bar. Don't even think about trying to align the doors better without undoing the torsion bar! Do not try to align the door to the panels, concentrate on the upper edge and "A" pillar and the door sill. Once you have things pretty even all around you adjust the front and rear panels to the door.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

krs09,

Could you take a few pictures of your weatherstriping to show us? With the door open, take some photos of that (inner) sealing edge that circles the entire door opening. If that weatherstriping is swollen, or misshapen, or just generally not seated how it is supposed to be, it can push out and up on the door. Not sure if it would cause exactly what you're seeing there, but a good thing to rule out at least initially. Heck, if it looks like you're going to replace the weatherstriping soon anyway, you might consider taking it out completely and then seeing how well the doors close and line up.

It is number 26 on this page:

http://store.delorean.com/c-308-8-4-...rutsseals.aspx

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Driver's side door rubbing hard against the weatherstripping

I have an issue with the driver's side door rubbing hard up against the weatherstripping just where it makes a little "jog". Basically above/behind the driver's head, see picture. The door fitment is generally good (so I am hesitant to get into any sort of door adjustment) but, because it tends to rub at this spot, you have to shut it kinda hard.

What's the best way to address this?
    2013-07-21 18.07.49 w red.jpg

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I have an issue with the driver's side door rubbing hard up against the weatherstripping just where it makes a little "jog". Basically above/behind the driver's head, see picture. The door fitment is generally good (so I am hesitant to get into any sort of door adjustment) but, because it tends to rub at this spot, you have to shut it kinda hard.

I had a similar problem. The door seal juts out a little and sometimes it used to catch against the door B-pillar trim piece, yanking it away from the door.

Eventually the fir trees in the trim piece loosened so much the trim caught the seal every damn time. The only way to fix it was to stuff pieces of foam inside the trim moulding, pushing it inwards and away from the edge of the door (and the seal).
    Fortunately it hasn't caught since.
    The seal still sticks out a bit like yours though, but nothing catches against it.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Club(s):   (GCD)

How old are your seals? May be distorted or possibly shrunk a bit? If your door closes well otherwise, I wouldn't mess with it either. For $50 (if you can buy just one side) you may want to try a new inner seal. Also check your door pillar trim to make sure it's not binding against the door.

My VIN:    4870

Have the same issue. The weather strip got so chewed up I just tore it all out (closes great now too). I am replacing all the w/s after I finish POR'ing the roof box and bolting it down(finally), hopefully this weekend .. After that's done Ill have to figure this out too.

Totally terrified about the bolting of the roof box thing btw, wish me luck.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    Hey guys (and girls). Wanted to show somemore pics of my F'ed up doors. My passenger door is worse for sure but they are both pretty bad. Im thinking of taking it up to PJ Grady's to see if they can help me out. What do ya think?? Looks like a pretty big gap along the pillar and along the front of the roof (im sure theres gonna be some nice wind noise). My other problem is the huge gap between the windshield and black trim piece above the windshield (shown in pic 4). Any idea how to fix that?? Looks like a good bit of work. Ugh.

Attachment 12893Attachment 12894Attachment 12895Attachment 12896Attachment 12897Attachment 12898
    My passenger door is similarly tweaked. I did notice the torsion bar was much tighter than the drivers side when I took it out.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg .jpg (104.5 KB, 59 views)

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2