FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very interesting painted Delorean coming up for sale in Charlotte in Sept.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Very interesting painted Delorean coming up for sale in Charlotte in Sept.

I want to see what this sells for!

http://www.dlrauctions.com/exotic-us...2212a5a563.htm

Not bad for a painted Delorean.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

It sold for $18k on ebay back in Oct 2008 and has traveled 176 miles in the intervening 4 years.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My bullshit meter is going haywire. First off, VIN 2802 isn't one of three dealer-painted DeLoreans like he claims it is. Dealers painted hundreds (thousands?) of D's. It's the DeLorean Motor Company itself that may have painted three. But he contradicts himself in saying this when he states DMC discussed paint jobs with dealers (and I'm not even sure if this discussion ever took place). What, only three Dealerships listened? Or was it one dealership that painted three? Google around, you'll find dozens of DeLoreans with dealership paintjobs.

Then he states they sold new for as much as $31,374.95. Where the hell did that number come from?! I googled "DeLorean 31,374.95" with and without the comma. Zero results, with the future exception of this very thread now that I'm posting it. They sold new for $25,000, adding $650 for an automatic. Yes, some were bought for up to $10,000 above list price, but keep in mind they bought it pre-owned, off of someone who paid list price for it (i.e. not new). So $25,650 was the maximum factory pricing, $5,724.95 short of his stated price. Maxing out dealer options got you around $600 to $1,000 extra, far short of his stated number. And his wording is hugely misleading, as if that DeLorean was the one priced there. DeLoreans had even-dollar prices for everything, factory or dealer. Sales tax doesn't count either.

What's worse is that there's a disclaimer:
    * While every reasonable effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this data, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions contained on these pages.
    "Every reasonable effort" my ass. They didn't do an ounce of research on this one
    Last edited by Shep; 08-21-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Typo'd the VIN

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

The ad certainly reeks of BS and misinformation, but it will be still interesting to see what it sells for. They are probably throwing out as much BS as possible so they will get more money for it.

It's still a decent looking Delorean!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

With such a low mileage car, perhaps they have the bill-of-sale showing $13k and change. Seems a very precise number to have just made up.

Perhaps the dealer charged $6k for the paint job?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Seems a very precise number to have just made up.
    It seems to me like he randomly bashed numbers on the keypad until one looked somewhat reasonable, then added 95 cents to make it fancier. It's a very oddball price, and the math doesn't add up.

My VIN:    2808 6921

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Nothing worthy to add, but thats the closest to my VIN ive ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Mcfly4u View Post
    Nothing worthy to add, but thats the closest to my VIN ive ever seen.
    VIN closeness is always worthy in my book

My VIN:    04915

At least one was a little higher

007.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    My bullshit meter is going haywire. First off, VIN 2802 isn't one of three dealer-painted DeLoreans like he claims it is. Dealers painted hundreds (thousands?) of D's. It's the DeLorean Motor Company itself that may have painted three. But he contradicts himself in saying this when he states DMC discussed paint jobs with dealers (and I'm not even sure if this discussion ever took place). What, only three Dealerships listened? Or was it one dealership that painted three? Google around, you'll find dozens of DeLoreans with dealership paintjobs.

Then he states they sold new for as much as $31,374.95. Where the hell did that number come from?! I googled "DeLorean 31,374.95" with and without the comma. Zero results, with the future exception of this very thread now that I'm posting it. They sold new for $25,000, adding $650 for an automatic. Yes, some were bought for up to $10,000 above list price, but keep in mind they bought it pre-owned, off of someone who paid list price for it (i.e. not new). So $25,650 was the maximum factory pricing, $5,724.95 short of his stated price. Maxing out dealer options got you around $600 to $1,000 extra, far short of his stated number. And his wording is hugely misleading, as if that DeLorean was the one priced there. DeLoreans had even-dollar prices for everything, factory or dealer. Sales tax doesn't count either.

What's worse is that there's a disclaimer:
    "Every reasonable effort" my ass. They didn't do an ounce of research on this one
    Attached is the sticker for 16647. I actually paid $34,500.00 for her and she was worth every penny.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    5312, (860 sold)

Crazy my car was bought new at Ron Tonkin also!! I wonder if they were on the lot the same time?
    Super nice lookin but instill don't think I would want a painted d.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast