FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Throw out bearing question

Banned

I've done it many times. I knew it would hit something in the middle, but I always assumed that was one of the bearings itself. Go in at the edge of the race. Needle will pop right in.

Needle tips make great Christmas presents BTW. I gave one to my friend just yesterday.

You can also use them to regrease tie rod ends through the boot.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

grease gun needle tip

You can also grease ball joints that don't have zerk fittings

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Over-grease the throw-out bearing and when it gets hot you will throw grease all over the clutch. Not a "Good Thing". In my experience sealed bearings last a long time (as long as they are not cheap Chinese ones) and they do not get wet. If the car was ever flooded the bearings soon go bad (the grease gets washed out when water gets in). Typically the clutch disc will wear out before the throwout bearing or pilot bearing goes bad.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

The throw out bearing isn't going to throw grease all over anything. What usually contaminates a clutch disc is oil from a bad rear engine seal.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrooks View Post
    The throw out bearing isn't going to throw grease all over anything. What usually contaminates a clutch disc is oil from a bad rear engine seal.
    How does the oil from the rear main get through the flywheel?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrooks View Post
    Does not work like that. Yes oil can get into the base of the bellhousing but it can not contaminate the clutch. I have replaced plenty of clutches and it has never been a contamination issue from a leaking rear main.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Banned

Grease sure isn't coming out of the throwout bearing. Traditional wheel bearings hang on to their grease just fine, and they don't even have the benefit of a rubber seal.

Anyone care to comment on the unusual location of a leaking DeLorean slave cylinder?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A leaking slave cylinder is certainly messy bit doesn't seem to be a problem contaminating the clutch. Probably because you can't drive very long once it starts leaking! It never pays to try to stretch the life of a throwout bearing or pilot bearing. Too much work to change it. Best advice is whenever you are in there working on the clutch you just replace the bearings and the disc if it is worn. What seems to be almost as common as a worn disc is a sticking problem with the splines or the pressure plate because the car sat for too long a time and got rusted into place. Mileage is not the only thing that can cause a clutch (or the bearings) to require replacement. A leaky rear main seal is also very messy but it doesn't get on the clutch disc.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

Original poster reports problems three months after initial installation. That hardly qualifies as "stretching the life of a throwout bearing or pilot bearing."

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I helped a friend replace his clutch during a club tech session at Dave Swingle's house (pre DMCMW). His clutch disc was completely WET with oily contamination and Disc friction Dust material. Initially we thought the wetness was due to a leaking Slave cylinder, however the Smell indicated it was Gear OIL. This Wet condition really messed up the Pressure plate and Fly Wheel surfaces with deep grooves. All we could really figure was that the INPUT SHAFT SEAL was seeping Gear gear oil from the transmssion. This oil runs forward along the inside of the TUBE the Input shaft goes through. the Tube terminates is INSIDE the Clutch Pressure plate. Any gear oil dripping off the tube end will land inside the CLUTCH.

In addition to the clutch replacement that day, the transmission was opened up. All seals were replaced, 2nd gear roll pin up graded and coupler other none typical issues were addressed. It's doing just fine 7-8 years later.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast