FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Passing california smog requirements

Passing california smog requirements

Will an EFI converted delorean pass california smog laws??

My VIN:    06960

Thats a complicated question. So here's a moderately complicated answer...

Yes, any EFI system should be capable of allowing the car to pass an emissions test if it is properly tuned, running closed-loop, and the CATs are in place.

With that said, there are lots of ways it could not pass. Megasquirt for example, is technically NOT legal for an emissions-required vehicle. A major reason being is that the user can modify the settings at any time. This way they can load up an emissions-passing tune and go pass the test, then re-load their non-passing tune. A technical reason is that your modifying the original emissions equipment. Despite the fact that its an upgrade to what was originally there, its still an illegal modification.

There are professionally sold EFI systems out there which may or may not fall under this restriction, I'm unfamiliar with anything other than Megasquirt.

In the end, if you have someone at the testing center just looking at the numbers and a nice clean install on your engine, you'll be fine if your properly tuned. It may be difficult to get all aspects tuned properly though without a professional tuner with an exhaust analyzer. Wideband O2 sensors commonly used by the end-user for tuning their system doesn't check for things like NOx emissions.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by gasflaphoodfan95 View Post
    Will an EFI converted delorean pass california smog laws??
    Probably not.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

Edit: Jim beat me to the long answer, but the short one is this: Engine modifications are pretty much not allowed. Check the link above. The visual inspection is what you will fail, not the emissions themselves.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

So, and I hate to mention it even, if you carb your car will it fail under the above "modification" rules?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    So, and I hate to mention it even, if you carb your car will it fail under the above "modification" rules?
    From what I understand, the following quote from the ARB says it all:

"No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB–exempted or EPA–certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders."

I checked the database. ARB provides executive orders for NO aftermarket parts for the DeLorean engine. So just because your Holley or Megasquirt is certified in another engine doesn't mean you can slap it on this one and call it good, even if your tailpipe is shooting rainbows and sunshine.

But if you remove the B28F and drop in an already-EFI Premier 3.0, or a suitable carb-ed engine, those would theoretically be OK as long as they aren't modified, all emissions controls are intact, and the original electronics (if originally part of the design) for diagnostics are present and fully functional.
    Last edited by jawn101; 08-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Jon

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I've had no problem with the inspection (visual) in Texas, but then again, we're Texas! I'm exempt from smog testing, but like other states, they are supposed to check to ensure that nothing has been modified. Mine is really obvious; transparent engine cover showing an LT1 throttle body, custom aluminum adapter, K&N air filter, etc... I think so much boils down to the inspector. Find the kid that is wowed by the car and start up the conversation.... tell him the history.... he'll never know that the MS or the Carb aren't stock. If he does, drive away.

The MS unit with the stock air intake and cleaner with the addition of fuel rails is a kind of "stealth" EFI setup, especially if you don't remove the WUR and hoses. See the EFI section of these forums.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

I won't say it's impossible to find a tester here who will be more "lenient", but the system is set up to avoid them. Before they even do the visual, you sign the agreement for testing. If they do the visual and decide they don't like what they see, you will probably still be on the hook for an "aborted" test - which will also show up on the car's publicly accessible smog history and (usually) costs $25 by itself.

Plus the entire system is computerized and every test performed can be traced back to the specific individual who performed it. It's not just a hole-punched sticker you put on your windshield (it was when I lived in New York) - so very few are willing to risk their shop to fudge things. Most smog stations do nothing *but* smog tests so they have nothing to fall back on if the state pulls their license.

I was actually turned away from the smog station I normally use in my town, because the tech wasn't familiar with the DeLorean engine and didn't know what to look for. So he just said nope, I won't do your check. Find someone else.

I don't defend this whole nightmare, BTW. I am very environmentally conscious personally but I feel like this system is overly restrictive and overcomplicated. Should we do emissions testing? Yes! Should it matter what means we use to reach the end? Nope. If what's coming out the tailpipe is clean, why does it make any difference how it got there?
    Jon

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Probably not.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

Edit: Jim beat me to the long answer, but the short one is this: Engine modifications are pretty much not allowed. Check the link above. The visual inspection is what you will fail, not the emissions themselves.
    I've had several inspectors who have barely looked at the engine, and not known what they were looking for anyway - most of the time they ask me what to enter into the computer (smog pump, etc.) Depends on who you get...

In the SF valley I can recommend Joes Smog Check

http://www.joessmogcheck.com/Discoun...nt32Total.html

NOT because he bends rules - not saying that at all - he is fast, cheap, and will work with you to figure out what is wrong if you don't pass...

I may not EFI the DeLorean if it cannot be smogged leagaly.
    I do not want to put all the effort. And money in and have it be an illegal car. however I am curious if a pre-EFI 3.0L PRV swapped into the Delorean can pass smog leagaly.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I'd call a local smog inspector and just ask. If they say its cool, go see them in person and talk it through, build a little relationship with them so they know and remember you. Take your daily driver there for its next smog check, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast