FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Passing california smog requirements

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

If you check the link I posted above, it relates specifically to engine swapped vehicles. As long as the original diagnostics and emissions control systems are left intact and 100% functional on the new motor, it sounds like it would be passable.... at least that's how I'm reading the info.

Edit: There is also a lot of caveat wording there, relating to ensuring the engine is emissions certified to the same year as the original vehicle, etc. It is a very fine line you walk in CA. Be informed before making any decisions.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

So does it follow that DMCH can't sell a Stage III in CA, with it's non-original exhaust?

Does DMCCA sell these and how do they smog them?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    05287

Is the PRE EFI 3.0 engine same year or newer then the engine in the car ? If it is... then you might be alright. I have done a few swaps ( not in DeLoreans) into Jeeps and RX7s. as long as the engine comes from the same weight class, that's another thing but the 3.0 comes out of a passenger car that was sold in the US right ?

All they ever cared about for me was that the same year or newer engine was put in. ( and that it came sold in a car sold in the usa ) Any proof of what the engine came out of is good to have. As well as they like to be a stickler sometimes on the exact parts out of the doner car... For instance I put a ford V8 in a Jeep and they wanted the ford cat on there... ( which is crap since alot of them are huge) but I guess that one may be up to the tech.

Putting your own EFI is a no go unless it has a CARB sticker to go along with it. Which something like a howell FI kits have ( they basically take a Chevy throttle body injection and adapt it for a carbed jeep ) which you have to add in 02, computer, check engine light, and a few other goodies they supply but the most important part is that CARB sticker...

When I have put a newer RX7 twin turbo engine into an older model they checked for all newer OBD, PRE cats and cats, check engine, air pump , air box ( which was kind of a pain). When done they give you a sticker in your engine bay that a smog shop can scan similar to any newer car which has the barcode in the door.

If my DeLoreans engine decides to let go at some point I will be trying to swap the engine out for something with EFI and getting it ref'ed as well. Having the ref sticker makes it easier then playing the 'smog game' in this lovely state of CA.

The 3.0 comes out of an Eagle Premier from the late 80s, early 90s

The Stage III adds a supercharger which I think comes under the heading of "modifying ".
    Dermot

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    05287

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    The 3.0 comes out of an Eagle Premier from the late 80s, early 90s

The Stage III adds a supercharger which I think comes under the heading of "modifying ".
    Ah then the 3.0 might be very-doable did they come with Turbo's as I see people with the 3.0's more commonly having them?

I would also say that without a CARB sticker to go along with that Supercharger then yes a Stage III would be out of the being able to get it to pass without very a friendly tech. Though I do have to say the few places I took my DeLorean to get it smogged they really didn't know what they were looking at.... but you slap a shiny supercharger on there and they might be a bit more picky. Mine was stock so there was nothing sticking out...

I was waiting for my smog to come back around, then maybe install the Island Turbo kit I got from Josh over at DPI and see what happens.
    Has no sticker of course and playing with fire but we will see.. or maybe ill just get one of those 3.0 engines and swap it over who knows..

The 3.0 is just EFI, no boost.
    Dermot

My VIN:    03572

If they are checking tail pipe emissions, why the hell are they checking the idle timing?

Maryland just changed there emissions. If your car is 1995 (I think that's the year) or newer, they just read the ODB and do a visual check on the engine and CAT. If it's older you still need to put is on the dyno and read the tail pipe.

My area there is no emission testing on any car. Guess our population is just to small to have a test station down here.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

[QUOTE=elfking;71716]Is the PRE EFI 3.0 engine same year or newer then the engine in the car ?

Yes it would be from a 1991/92 eagle premier or something similar which was sold in the us.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If they are checking tail pipe emissions, why the hell are they checking the idle timing?

Maryland just changed there emissions. If your car is 1995 (I think that's the year) or newer, they just read the ODB and do a visual check on the engine and CAT. If it's older you still need to put is on the dyno and read the tail pipe.

My area there is no emission testing on any car. Guess our population is just to small to have a test station down here.
    Dave:

*sigh*

They check all kinds of things. That's but one of them. CA is a tough place for car enthusiasts to live, unless you're into pre-1975 stuff. My next toy will be some kind of late 60's or early 70's Brit roadster.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    16245

Ahh - my son posted this! I appreciate his research.

We talked about doing that to one of the cars, I'm trying to get a definitive answer. I'd be real mad id a county clerk said ok.. but was actually incorrect. That happened a few times with me and permits upgrading my home. Not fun!
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast