FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: which fuel pump to use for carbed car?

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

which fuel pump to use for carbed car?

Hi guys,

My car is running an Alpine GTA engine which has a carb, and I hope to get it running over the next few weeks, so need to get a fuel pump installed and setup.

What brand of fuel pump are you guys using, and I assume it is one which fits into the original DMC fuel pump boot?

Thanks for any info,
    John

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The first thing that comes to my mind is why not use the pump that fits the Alpine? The only stipulation being it will have to fit the boot.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Hi Michael,

Good point, but the GTA I got the engine from had a messed up fuel system - seemed to have 2 pumps involved which wasn't standard... I wanted to buy a new pump anyway and don't have access to the old fuel pump as it's 3000 miles away now, so I wouldn't know if a new Alpine pump would fit the dmc boot unless I order one and hope for the best.

Anyway, I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out here in the US than getting an Alpine one shipped over

Thanks,
    John

Oh I didn't meant the actual old pump, but a new aftermarket pump that would fit the Alpine. I guess you would have to know the physical dimensions before you ordered it to make sure it fits. If not, then my second avenue would be to find what flow rate the alpine engine needs then find the comparable Bosch unit that fits the DeLorean fuel tank and boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Oh I didn't meant the actual old pump, but a new aftermarket pump that would fit the Alpine.
    Yep I know, I mean I don't have access to the old one to measure it, so that I'd be confident ordering a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I guess you would have to know the physical dimensions before you ordered it to make sure it fits. If not, then my second avenue would be to find what flow rate the alpine engine needs then find the comparable Bosch unit that fits the DeLorean fuel tank and boot
    What pump are you running in yours Michael, and what spec is it? I wasn't going to overanalyze this to be honest, I'm sure whatever pump is being used for carb powered DMC's already will work fine for me - it's just a regular PRV with a carb.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dmcjohn View Post
    Yep I know, I mean I don't have access to the old one to measure it, so that I'd be confident ordering a new one.

What pump are you running in yours Michael, and what spec is it? I wasn't going to overanalyze this to be honest, I'm sure whatever pump is being used for carb powered DMC's already will work fine for me - it's just a regular PRV with a carb.

Thanks,
    John
    I'm running k-jet, so its a stock DMC unit.

The Turbo alpine does run two pumps in series, and neither of them would fit the DMC support boot. You need the kind of pump Bill R uses, OR, as suggested by Jim Reeve (I think), run a standard DMC pump, and connect the supply to the return and Tee off from it. This has never been tried but I reckon it stands a good chance of working
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    The Turbo alpine does run two pumps in series, and neither of them would fit the DMC support boot. You need the kind of pump Bill R uses, OR, as suggested by Jim Reeve (I think), run a standard DMC pump, and connect the supply to the return and Tee off from it. This has never been tried but I reckon it stands a good chance of working
    And if it doesn't work, attach a very low pressure regulator just downstream of the T on the return line, and it will guarantee a continuous low pressure supply from the T into the carb.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

When I first wound up with my D, I considered putting a carb on it and the best thing I came up with was to abandon the D fuel system entirely, find out the pressure requirements for the carb you want to use, and get an aftermarket rail mounted fuel pump to match. They are cheap <$50, move all of the "high" pressure to the engine compartment, and you could feed it through the return line nipple in the existing boot (they shut off at a given pressure, so they don't need a return line (...some carbs do but that just means adding a port in the boot...), or make/adapt one.

my understanding is you need a low pressure pump with 6 psi or use high pressure pump and install a fuel pressure regulator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast