FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Does anyone recommend a specific speaker to upgrade the factory original Craig ones?

Does anyone recommend a specific speaker to upgrade the factory original Craig ones?

I am under the understanding that a pair of 3 1/2" speakers with flush tweeters and a pair of 4"x10" speakers will replace the front and rear, respectively, speakers originally provided for the Delorean. Does anyone have a specific make and model they recommend? Most of the articles I found were old and the speakers they recommended no longer available. Thank you

My VIN:    4534

Check out this thread. I read it and picked out the Infinity speakers. They work well for what I wanted. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?57...es-of-speakers
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Yea I'm using infinity speakers also in my car using the factory mount points. Obviously the rears are not the standard oval but they fit with a bit of creativity (I forget what I did, but they went in fine). As I mentioned in the thread linked by Kenny, I used Infinity Kappa 52.9i's in the rear and 32.9cf's in the front

My VIN:    6585

Seconded on the Infinitys. Ran them for years in my car and they're beyond awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Seconded on the Infinitys. Ran them for years in my car and they're beyond awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd take the time to upgrade the wiring as well - #12 or #14.

Any yeah, the infinitys sound really good.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

+1 for the Infinity speaker setup. Remarkable sound. The stock staging in the car really isn't even that bad! Plus the 329cf are some of the only ones that will mount properly in the front location without needing weird modifications, stud extenders, etc. That's a tight spot.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You're right about the fact that speakers are discontinued after a while and old replacement models are no longer available. The way most of us have done it is to go to a place like Crutchfield.com where they specialize in doing this and know what is available and how to make it fit. You should replace the wiring and you have to be careful with the front speakers, the cones can't protrude or you have to make up spacers. You have to be real careful removing the rear quarter trim or it will rip. Use a heat gun on low to soften up the glue and slowly and carefully peel it loose after you remove the door seals. The original radios only had 8 watts per channel so if you are using the original radio you do not need to handle a lot of power. The original speaker cones have turned to dust and are not worth trying to repair. They were cheap pieces of junk anyway even way back then! Some have added a sub-woofer in the rear package shelf and an amp in the cubby. You can also put it under the seat. If you upgrade the radio the DIN adapter is the way to go.
    David Teitelbaum

I still haven't figured out the right balance but here's what I did for the sub. Bit too punchy at present. I really just want it to augment the speakers since they are too small to have decent low freq's. That's why I didn't bother with a fancy amp since I knew I wouldn't be pushing it hard. I prolly should actually try and find an amp smaller in footprint so it doesn't eat up as much of the rear storage shelf.

sub3.jpg
    Last edited by AirmanPika; 08-31-2012 at 11:40 PM.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    I still haven't figured out the right balance but here's what I did for the sub. Bit too punchy at present. I really just want it to augment the speakers since they are too small to have decent low freq's. That's why I didn't bother with a fancy amp since I knew I wouldn't be pushing it hard. I prolly should actually try and find an amp smaller in footprint so it doesn't eat up as much of the rear storage shelf.

sub3.jpg
    Just in case you were interested and haven't seen the thread, this is what I did and it works great. In fact, the whole thread answers all of the questions posed here, even my method for balancing sub levels and tuning your stereo.

If you really want to get picky, use your iPhone! download 2 apps- the tone generator app and the spl meter app. Run pink noise at 85db, isolate each speaker using balance and fade to ensure they are all operating properly. You can also simply use 3 chunks of insulation to cover up each speaker that isn't being tested. Centre your iPhone in the middle. Measure each front from the same spot, looking for 85db with the mic pointed straight to the windshield. For the rears, turn the mic 90 degrees, towards each door, not towards each speaker. It's kinda sloppy given we can't adjust individual channel gain with the craig, but you can definitely ensure one isn't 10bd low or something like that. Plus, it's kinda fun.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Just in case you were interested and haven't seen the thread, this is what I did and it works great. In fact, the whole thread answers all of the questions posed here, even my method for balancing sub levels and tuning your stereo.

If you really want to get picky, use your iPhone! download 2 apps- the tone generator app and the spl meter app. Run pink noise at 85db, isolate each speaker using balance and fade to ensure they are all operating properly. You can also simply use 3 chunks of insulation to cover up each speaker that isn't being tested. Centre your iPhone in the middle. Measure each front from the same spot, looking for 85db with the mic pointed straight to the windshield. For the rears, turn the mic 90 degrees, towards each door, not towards each speaker. It's kinda sloppy given we can't adjust individual channel gain with the craig, but you can definitely ensure one isn't 10bd low or something like that. Plus, it's kinda fun.
    Thanks I'll try that. I especially like how you did the amp. I might have to do exactly that. I have a Pioneer DEH-P7000BT in my car so I should be able to adjust a bit better than those with a Craig.