FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: AC Blower Issues

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

AC Blower Issues

So I pretty much have all the electrical gremlins from our car fixed except for one: the AC blower. Currently, it only works on speeds 2 and 3. All the relays have been replaced, as well as circuit breakers, fuses, ect. Fairly sure it is a bad switch but I am wondering if anyone has had similar trouble and maybe has an easy way to 100% diagnose the problem. I don't want to buy a new switch if I'm not certain that is the issue. Thanks!

replace the transistor inside the blower motor. Speeds one and two run thru this. Its near where the power wires attach to the blower motor. I would clean all the wires with contact cleaner as well.

The switch is not expensive and its easy to replace if you have any doubts about it. Again I would at least try and clean the contacts inside.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thegovernor9912 View Post
    replace the transistor inside the blower motor.
    ?????

You can feed power directly to the resistor bridge at the blower and see if you get all 4 speeds there, but based on the symptom it's the switch.

Speeds 1 and 2 run from the switch and are fused, 3 and 4 are on relays and are on a breaker. It's common to lose 3 and 4 or 1 and 2, but not 1 and 4. If the resistor fails you generally lose 1, 1 and 2, or 1,2, and 3 but never 4.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Speeds 3 and 4 run the power off the blower circuit breaker. Do you read voltage on both sides of that breaker (the 30 amp breaker)?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/