FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Engine Upgrade

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Custom Engine Upgrade

For awhile I had been toying with the idea of upgrading the motor. The idea first started out with a Stage II from DMCH, then I thought about doing something custom with some of the parts from Ed Uding (High Compression Pistons), etc, etc.

When I finally decided to go ahead and do the motor upgrade, the attractive package at the time was the DPI Spec II package, but I still wanted to add some custom flair to it, and I wanted to do the work myself in order to learn all that I could about the motor. So, with the idea, motive, and time to do the work, I went ahead and did the drive-train upgrade with the help of two very generous DMA members.

First, a general list of the parts (many other new parts and while-you-are-in-there parts happened along the way):
    High-Compression Pistons from Ed Uding in Europe (The DPI over-sized high compression pistons were on back order)
    Aggressive Cams from DPI (the most aggressive they offer)
    Port and Polished Heads from DPI
    UK Stainless Polished Exhaust with Test Pipes
    Fully balanced rotating assembly
    Polished Crankshaft
    Re-surfaced Flywheel
    Re-built Transmission from PJ Grady (The car has never shifted better)
    Powder coated parts
    Yellow Zinc Plated brackets, etc (Done through DeLorean MidWest)

A picture of some of the new parts:
    383435_818088886332_18101043_37574511_904757227_n.jpg
    Honed cylinder liners
    High Compression Pistons
    Balanced and polished crankshaft
    Cleaned up block
    Blasted engine cradle
    Clutch Kit
    Resurfaced flywheel

Powder coated parts:
    IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg

UK Stainless Steel Exhaust:
    IMG_0434.jpg

So, with an idea of the parts I wanted to use, it was time to remove the motor.
    IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg

With the motor out of the car, it was time to disassemble the motor.
    IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg

Upon taking the motor apart, a few things were found.
    1.) My clutch was so heavy, and the squeal/squeak I would have was found. The pilot bearing was practically rusted to the point in which it would not spin, and the pressure plate and clutch were just about rusted together. No wonder the clutch pedal was so heavy. We also found a mud-bee nest between the trans and the motor. The clutch fork boot was folded in towards the clutch, allowing water and insects into the bell housing.

With the motor out of the car, it was time to clean the frame and repair frame rust.
    Frame after the motor was removed:
    IMG_0410.jpg
    Frame after using Simple Green, a brush, and a power washer:
    IMG_0415.jpg

Engine cradle rust that was ground away and POR-15ed
    IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg

Next it was time to clean and paint the engine bay with SEM Trim Black.
    Masking the engine bay for painting:
    IMG_0593.jpg
    Painting complete:
    IMG_0677.jpg

There was alot of painting of parts that happened throughout this project, here are two more. The rear louvre and the back fiberglass piece of the rear fascia.
    Before:
    IMG_0737.jpg
    After:
    IMG_0739.jpg
    Repainted louvre:
    photo (5).jpg

Next up was to start putting the motor back together. I first started by using POR-15 and Engine Enamel to paint the Valley of Death.
    IMG_0738.jpg

After that, it was time to start putting the crankshaft back in and to start installing the pistons.
    Installing the main bearings:
    IMG_0675.jpg

First piston installed:
    IMG_0793.jpg
    Pistons installed:
    IMG_0795.jpg
    Pistons installed:
    IMG_0794.jpg

Once the pistons were in place it was time to put the heads back onto the car.
    First head installed:
    IMG_0798.jpg
    First head installed:
    IMG_0797.jpg
    Both heads installed:
    IMG_0800.jpg
    Test of how the new powder coated valve covers will look:
    IMG_0801.jpg

After putting the time chains and gears back on, it was time to install the powder coated oil pan, along with the stainless hardware from DPI.
    photo (15).jpg

The next step was to install the clutch and then the transmission, allowing for it to be put back into the car as one piece.
    Flywheel installed:
    photo (13).jpg
    Clutch installed:
    photo (12).jpg
    Transmission bolted up to the motor:
    photo (10).jpg

Now it was time to drop the motor and the transmission back into the car.
    photo (9).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    photo (7).jpg

After that it was time to put everything back together. Everything was original to the car, blasted and powder coated except for the Air Metering Unit. I exchanged mine for a refurbished unit from DPI. Truly a piece of art as it was freshly painted, new gaskets and hardware, and stainless steel brackets/throttle linkage.
    photo (16).jpg

A side project that came out of this was to replace my gas tank. Since I got the car I noticed that the tank has some deep cracks in it. Not wanting to take the chance, I decided to replace it. It's a good thing that I did, since it didn't take much more pressure for the cracks to open up when the tank was removed.
    Before removing:
    IMG_0806.jpg
    Old tank and fuel setup removed:
    IMG_0807.jpg
    Crack in original tank:
    crack2.jpg
    Another crack in original tank:
    crack.jpg
    New tank from DeLorean Florida (picked it up while on vacation)
    IMG_0443.jpg
    New tank installed and all in one fuel pump/sender installed
    photo.jpg

I also decided to replace the fuel filler as it was rusty. When removing the old tank I found bits of paper towel in the tank and in the fuel filter. There were also bits of rust in the old tank, and I could see the scrape marks from the fuel filler. Not wanting to contaminate my new fuel system I replaced the original one with one from Houston.
    Rusty and gross:
    photo (2).jpg
    Shiny and new:
    photo (3).jpg

Lastly, the fuel tank closing plate was ground down and POR-15 was used to clean up some of the rust from an old Brake Master Cylinder leak.
    IMG_0813.jpg

Next post: Engine start up and driving/revving.

After having the car back and running for a little under a week, I must say, the car is nothing but pure fun to drive. With the cam shafts, 4500 RPM to 7000 RPM is just plain awesome. Once you hit 4500 RPM there is a big kick/push back into your seats eruption from the motor.

A big thank you to Tom and Marc from the DMA, Rob Grady for the awesome Transmission work, Josh at DPI for taking all of my calls and help, Julee at DMC MW for reminding me I put myself on the order list for the new fuel pump/sender combo, and Elvis for the tip on the Idle Computer modification (I increased the idle to help with the aggressive cams, more on this in the next post).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    06960

Some damn nice stuff right there. Its a thread like this which makes me want to re-post everything about the exact same thing I did to my own engine back in 2009. Congrats!
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Some damn nice stuff right there. Its a thread like this which makes me want to re-post everything about the exact same thing I did to my own engine back in 2009. Congrats!
    Your old thread is what inspired me! Per our discussions I chose not to lighten the flywheel. Thanks for your tips and information that we discussed before I started the project.
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    4534

Very nice. Are we going to get to see and hear it run via a video? I'd love to know what it sounds like.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    Very nice. Are we going to get to see and hear it run via a video? I'd love to know what it sounds like.
    That's the plan. I have a few videos of it running before it was tuned, but they are on my laptop at home. I will get around to uploading these tomorrow. I also am planning on taking some more videos of it running after the tuning, and also driving. I have a mount for my iphone that I will use so that you can hear what it sounds like all the way to 7000 RPM while driving. =)

For the meantime, if you just CANNOT wait, I made this video on Facebook public just for the time being, until I can reupload it on Youtube.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=856372595472

My VIN:    4534

It has the right mix of deep exhaust tones with a high revving exotic feel. That is awesome and I am extremely jealous. Very nice work.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    6157

Club(s):  

I'm a little afraid to ask, but are you willing to share an approximate total of what this upgrade cost you? I'm thinking about doing something similar with my car this winter, but haven't done all the research yet, but it seems you have! anyway, looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing the videos too!

Arthur

My VIN:    04915

This is a great thread, Steve. This is almost exactly what Josh at DPI is doing to 4915 as we speak. I won't get my car back for a few weeks but hearing that video of yours makes the waiting almost unbearable. I would love to have done the work myself as you did but I don't think I'm up to it. I'll leave it to the experts!

Congratulations on a job well done!!
    Jack Skeens

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurCaverly View Post
    I'm a little afraid to ask, but are you willing to share an approximate total of what this upgrade cost you? I'm thinking about doing something similar with my car this winter, but haven't done all the research yet, but it seems you have! anyway, looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing the videos too!

Arthur
    I have a similar build to Steve's, except where he went with the HC pistons, I went with EFI. For the ported/polished heads, aggressive camshafts, and DPI Spec 1 exhaust, as well as all of the necessary gaskets, seals, o-rings, etc, I spent around four thousand dollars.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Nice thread!
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast