FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Introductions

Well, I know this is a rebuild, but I figured I'd re-introduce myself! LOL

My name is Chris Grimm. I just graduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University with my BS in Aerospace Engineering.

I've been interested in and have loved the DeLorean for a long time. I JUST got my first opportunity to experience driving one of these incredible machines in March. I'm totally in love! It impressed me in so many ways that I now tell people that whatever impressions they might have about the car, are probably wrong and the ONLY way to truly be able to appreciate them is to drive one.

Currently I'm heavily involved in the Turbo-Chrysler crowd, and have been since 1996. My current daily driver is a 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z that I've been steadily modifying for the past 5 years. I'm more interested in overall vehicle performance, so I have it set-up for road course and auto-cross type activities. The best drag racing time I've been able to get out of it is 14.0@100. It weighs 3115#'s with me in it (race scale confirmed) and the best power I've gotten out of it on the dyno is 225hp and 291ftlb torque. I currently am working on a Chrysler Maserati TC DOHC engine (1 of 501 produced) to put in the car. My goal is to make 400hp at the wheels and have that power around 7500-7800rpm. This is a lofty and expensive goal, but not out of reach.

Anyhow, I'm excited to see this community back and look forward to being a part of it!

To see if this is right place to blab about me again.

Hey there, my name is Karin. I am still trying to find myself a darn job so I can work my darn way to a good life and hopefully my dream car, which you all know what that would be. Yeah, if the DeLorean wasn't my dream car, I probably wouldn't be here but regardless of that, this is a very friendly community. Seems for the short time being, I am the only girl that has returned.

You can expect what made me love our beloved stainless steel sea gull (why did I come up with that). Until several years ago, I had no idea they still existed nor I knew the name. Being a little kid watching BTTF, a DeLorean could've sounded like gibberish to me.

I don't play with makeup. I play with games and if I didn't have the habit of letting my nails grow long, cars. I am always fascinated by older cars mainly. My dad is the old car whiz and likes to tell me about their years and models although my uncle is probably better at that since he owns a project Chevy Belair. My family is against my getting my dream car but my dream, my decision.

Former lurker here, no D, no old nic.

A fan of JZD personally, and someone who appreciates the car from a distance

Not in charge....luckily for you Renee_1632's Avatar

My VIN:    01632

Guess I might as well, since I changed my name.

I was LadyL391 on the old forum, the clueless moron who knew nothing about cars (oh, THAT'S the engine! cool!) so decided to buy a DeLorean and teach herself. So far, so...kinda good. My name's Renee, I'm stationed in SoCal with the Marines, and I own VIN 01632.

Also, Karin, hurry up and get your DeLorean, dammit. We need more female owners!
    Renee

VIN 1632

You know you're a DeLorean owner when "Run DMC" is not an 80's band, but a daily prayer.

Hi, my name is Jamie and I'm an 18 year old Canadian Delorean enthusiast. I only came to know of the DMC-12 through the Back To The Future trilogy (surprise surprise), but it was love at first site. I immediately started looking into the story behind the car itself, and not just Doc Brown's time machine, and I became even more interested in this beautiful machine. I plan to own one myself someday, and once I do it will be one of the happiest days of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee_1632 View Post
    Also, Karin, hurry up and get your DeLorean, dammit. We need more female owners!
    Lol, tell that to the economy and employment. I just wish finding a job was so easy or it just came to me and yes I have posted resumes as many places as I can. I don't include Craigslist because I have read the job descriptions with caps and/or grammer, spelling, sentence errors. I prefer professional job applications.

Better yet, I could've gone to that fifth grader show when it was still around because I know I could make easy money there. About 4 out of 5 of the questions I know the answer to. Only subjects I have no confidence in would be history and social studies. It's hard to remember dates or politic stuff cuz it's so boring. Only wars seem to be interesting.

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Ah, it's good to be back. I missed this forum and had spent a lot of time building up a reputation on the old site.

For those who remember me, I'm a car addict with two DeLoreans and have owned three in my lifetime.

I'm always willing to give people rides in my car, so long as they're respectful and I hope to see more young owners in the future.

Chad, are you the guy whose turbo setup was mistaken for a catalytic converter?

Now that was funny

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousBystander View Post
    Chad, are you the guy whose turbo setup was mistaken for a catalytic converter?

Now that was funny
    Yep; that was me, back when I first purchased 6982; oh, how I miss that car.

My VIN:    06960

Eh, might as well give a briefer since I think there are a bunch of new people here...

Name is Jim Reeve. Live in Minnesota. Owned 06960 since 2000, had 27,000 miles. Car now has somewhere between 110,000 and 120,000 miles on it. I've driven it across country to 3 distant DCS's (Memphis '02, Pigeon Forge '04, Lexington '10), 1 close DCS (Chicago '06), and two other DeLorean events (DMCH Open House '01, DeLorean Mid-Atlantic Fall Foliage Tour '02). Car is typically a daily driver during the summertime.

Had an engine failure in '08 (which is why I missed DCS Gettysburg '08 ). Engine was dumping coolant into the oil pan through a cylinder liner base gasket. Rebuilt the engine in '09 (had a huge thread about this, hopefully it returns), while building it up as a home-built Stage II.5 at the same time. Engine has high compression pistons (DMCEu), milled heads (to further increase compression), ported heads, fast cams (DMCEu), fully balanced rotating assembly (safely get higher RPMs), lightened flywheel, DMC's Stage I all-stainless exhaust, and a "modified" bit of the exhaust. In '10 I went a step further, and removed the K-Jet system and installed a home-built Megasquirt EFI system using an intake manifold, injectors, fuel rails, and TB from a Z7U PRV (from Europe). Also in '10 the stock suspension got a major overhaul with polyurethane bushing all around, Spax shocks, and DCUK front lowering springs.

I have done nearly all service on the car myself (or with assistance of others) in the time I've owned it. Only exception was a transmission inspection done by Dave Swingle while doing the clutch. I'm always willing to assist other owners on their cars, and have even been known from time to time to drive or fly across country to do so. I've seriously pondered opening up my own DeLorean service facility, but have never done so.

It seems I'm always working on or tweaking something on the car. In the past I've installed a temp/compass display into the headliner, added some switches and buttons, to make a fully integrated overhead console. Rebuilt the entire A/C system with 100% new components except evaporator. I'm also the only one who has managed to bend a Toby TAB. Topped off the car at 125mph back with the stock engine/suspension setup. Have yet to test it out after the rebuild. Two upcoming projects on my own car are making heated AND cooled seats using new custom-ordered all grey perforated seat covers from DMC. I'm also working to change the center console armrest to look more like the early Pilot cars, except in place of an ashtray will be cupholders.

A major project which I'm still just getting started on is a complete replacement of the instrument cluster with new digital stepper-motor driven gauges. It will be LED backlit in a fashion to match the appearance of the A/C panel yet retain an entirely stock appearance to the original cluster. Will have a 140mph speedometer, an electronic pickup for the speedometer to replace the angle drive, and all gauges will be digitally controlled with much more precision than the original analog gauges. Possible value-adds might be compatibility with a universal fuel level sender, and using the LAMBDA light as an additional overheat indicator. This is a project which I'm hoping to be able to produce in numbers and resell to the rest of the DeLorean community.

Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast