FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: KW Coilover Suspension Kit

My VIN:    6353

KW Coilover Suspension Kit

Hi Everyone, just found this and I am very excited about it. Coilover suspension kit for the Delorean made by KW suspension! It is pretty pricey, but all good coil over kits are, and KW is one of the top suspension brands in Europe. I'm sure it will make the Delorean handle amazing! When I get mine, this would definitely be a mod I would like to add. It's in german so you can use your browser to translate. What do you guys think?

Info about it: http://deloman.mwp-server.de/index.p...222&Itemid=157

To buy: http://www.deloman.de/index.php?main...roducts_id=442

P.S. One of our fellow members Deloman was most likely responsible for getting this made. His work is amazing!

My VIN:    3589

WOW! Really cool, but $1500 plus shipping is out of my league....:-(

My VIN:    6353

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    WOW! Really cool, but $1500 plus shipping is out of my league....:-(
    I'm just very proud of the fact that a world famous suspension maker like KW made a coilover kit for the Delorean!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislav View Post
    I'm just very proud of the fact that a world famous suspension maker like KW made a coilover kit for the Delorean!
    Why so pride if you don't even own a Delorean?

To me, it is a kit that someone put together and not something specially made for delorean. KW website only show products for vehicles 1985 and up.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Maybe it is one for an Esprit?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Not to be a debbie downer or anything, but why would someone want this?

First, there is nothing special at all about this suspension in the rear. The car already has a coilover setup back there. This is nothing new.

Secondly, I've been thinking about it over and over, and cannot for the life of me figure out how in the front, having the spring sit on the shock instead of the lower control arm, makes a damn bit of difference. After all, the shock is bolted to the lower control arm; the energy transfer is going to be the same. The only difference is that now, the shock bolt in the front is experiencing a far greater shearing load, as the weight of the car is sitting on it, instead of the lower control arm itself. Instead of being loaded only when the shock compresses, the bolt is now loaded at all times+impact loading.

Honestly, the only thing that this setup has going for it is the adjustable dampening... which you can already get from several different vendors. No thanks; I applaud the design effort but thats it. Honestly, I think a cooler project would have been variable spring rate springs for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Maybe it is one for an Esprit?
    Not even!

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

This picture is from deloman.de facebook:
    deloman.jpeg

Not very smart to replace CV joints for Universal Joints on this application!

LEVY

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    This picture is from deloman.de facebook:
    deloman.jpeg

Not very smart to replace CV joints for Universal Joints on this application!

LEVY
    Agreed! I cant believe my eyes. You cannot simply swap CV joints for universal joints. Our Rzeppa CV joints are designed with a certain amount a plunge that is utilized when the the wheel moves up and down. Changing them out with CV joints means that plunge is eliminated, and you now have stressed half shafts. Some cars and suspension systems are designed with stressed half shafts, but not ours. As the rear suspension is compressed, the half shaft flanges are constantly being pushed and pulled on, and the half shaft is put in and out of tension and compression.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 09-10-2012 at 04:48 PM.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    As the rear suspension is compressed, the half shaft flanges are constantly being pushed and pulled on, and the half shaft is put in and out of tension and compression.
    It would appear that there may be something in the middle of the linkage to accommodate this, but I'm having a hard time picturing how its supposed to work.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast