FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To: Better secure your front grill

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Security torx are worthless in my experience

Step 1: use flat screwdriver to break off "tit" in center of security torx screw

Step 2: use flat screwdriver to remove now-standard torx

Step 3: profit
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    Umm...what does your magnetic box stick to on your plastic grill?
    The headlight brackets/frames are carbon steel. Perfect for holding onto a magnetic box.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    What if you opened the holes up a tiny bit more in the fascia and put a rivetnut in? Then you wouldn't have to rely on a screw going into plastic to hold it in place.
    Actually after I did it I thought to myself something like a speed clip would probably work nice in there. Didn't have any around the house but might do that at a later date to give it a little more bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    +1 to that. I come across both security torx and security allen screws at work, if I don't have my driver set with the security bits in it nearby I can just use a small flathead to get them unscrewed. The only time I have trouble is if they are really torqued in there.

This is my security driver set, I count 42 of what I would consider security bits in there.
    2012-09-09_20-19-23_740.jpg

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    Actually after I did it I thought to myself something like a speed clip would probably work nice in there. Didn't have any around the house but might do that at a later date to give it a little more bite.
    When I was at the hardware store looking for the span screws, I checked for an insert to use a machine screw but did not find anything I thought would work good in the plastic supports. Maybe a T nut would work but I just decided the larger #14 screw would hold just as good.

I think if I had the headlights removed, I would make an L bracket. That would be bolted at the back edge of the grill so you could not access it without removing the headlights. Then the other end of the bracket would bolt to the Stainless back plate behind the grill.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Hence "at the very least". It's still better than a normal torx, if only marginally.

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    This is my security driver set, I count 42 of what I would consider security bits in there.
    2012-09-09_20-19-23_740.jpg
    Hard to tell from the blurry picture, but I don't think there's any tri-groove bits in there. Looks like I'll be going that option when I do this to my D.

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    Hard to tell from the blurry picture, but I don't think there's any tri-groove bits in there. Looks like I'll be going that option when I do this to my D.
    Gotta stop drinking coffee before running out into the garage with the camera... Yea, no tri-groove driver in there. But this bit set has gotten me into a lot of things someone else didn't want me messing with! Actually my favorite bit in the set is the Y shaped bit used for wing nuts. Last time I used it my fingers were too fat to get where they needed and this really helped out. Here's the link with what's in there: http://www.proskit.com/screwdrivers/...curity-bit-set

I'll start carrying around a crow bar!

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Since I had the bumper off I decided to go ahead and make this mod. Instead of making it removable with the bumper on, I decided to use carriage bolts (SS) with the heads on the outside, nuts on the inside. I couldn't come up with a valid reason to need to pull the grill off, so making it part of the bumper/fascia wasn't an issue for me.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

So, uh, what am I looking at there, Owen? I know it's the grill and front fascia, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the orientation of the camera in relation to whatever I'm looking at... Maybe I need a little more visual context?

My VIN:    10084

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347582358.280800.jpg
    This is what happens when you don't secure your grill right!
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast