FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine will start one minute and then not the next

Engine will start one minute and then not the next

Im trying to figure out why I will go out and start my Delorean then shut it off and 15 minutes later it wont start. I can come back to it and some times it will start and other times it wont. Its still getting spark on the times it wont start tho so that's why im completely confused now. fuel plus fire and no start...hmmmm.??? any ideas?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Im trying to figure out why I will go out and start my Delorean then shut it off and 15 minutes later it wont start. I can come back to it and some times it will start and other times it wont. Its still getting spark on the times it wont start tho so that's why im completely confused now. fuel plus fire and no start...hmmmm.??? any ideas?
    Sounds like a hot start issue to me. Bad fuel accumulator?

Wait... you're in Dayton? Have you ever come to one of Ken's Thursday night gatherings? Do you know DeLorean03 or any of the other DCO folks? Sorry... maybe I just dont recognize the screen name...

My VIN:    3299

I don't know him, but that doesn't mean too much as I am still new in the area too.

He should definitely come to Ken's on Thursdays. I'm guessing by "15 mins" he means he's driven for 15 mins as opposed to having it idle that long. If so, I agree with your line of thinking, Nick.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    00910

Next time it doesn't start for you try cycling the ignition on-off 4-5 times. Each time let the pump run till it shuts off by itself. If its the accumulator I bet it will be easier to start.
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    I don't know him, but that doesn't mean too much as I am still new in the area too.

He should definitely come to Ken's on Thursdays. I'm guessing by "15 mins" he means he's driven for 15 mins as opposed to having it idle that long. If so, I agree with your line of thinking, Nick.
    Im not driving my car yet as it needs alot of work still, but when I do start it yes I will just let it idle for a bit then ill shut it off and if i come back in 10 to 15 min. or even a few hours it may not start. So I pulled a plug and it seems to be getting spark. I can also smell fuel after cranking it for a few seconds so i assume its getting fuel but I could be wrong. Not to sound silly but who is Ken?..lol
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    (formerly 16276) & (Currently) 00901

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Im not driving my car yet as it needs alot of work still, but when I do start it yes I will just let it idle for a bit then ill shut it off and if i come back in 10 to 15 min. or even a few hours it may not start. So I pulled a plug and it seems to be getting spark. I can also smell fuel after cranking it for a few seconds so i assume its getting fuel but I could be wrong. Not to sound silly but who is Ken?..lol
    That sounds like the "hot start issue" to me. What happens is that the fuel's pressure drops when the engine is shut off (i.e. goes back to the tank). Two things are in the fuel circuit that help hold the fuel in place when a hot engine is shut down and that's the fuel accumulator (located midway down the frame in a small cutout hole) and the Primary Pressure regulator (PPR) O-ring (this is located on the fuel distributor under a large 16mm nut facing the air box). Either one of these fail, you're gonna be waiting to start your car for a good few hours... that is, unless you're lucky. Start with replacing the O-ring then go to the accumulator if there's still a problem.

Here's a couple pictures of what I am referring to

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-par...egulator-1.jpg

The PPR

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-par...ccumulator.jpg

Accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1983 View Post
    That sounds like the "hot start issue" to me. What happens is that the fuel's pressure drops when the engine is shut off (i.e. goes back to the tank). Two things are in the fuel circuit that help hold the fuel in place when a hot engine is shut down and that's the fuel accumulator (located midway down the frame in a small cutout hole) and the Primary Pressure regulator (PPR) O-ring (this is located on the fuel distributor under a large 16mm nut facing the air box). Either one of these fail, you're gonna be waiting to start your car for a good few hours... that is, unless you're lucky. Start with replacing the O-ring then go to the accumulator if there's still a problem.

Here's a couple pictures of what I am referring to

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-par...egulator-1.jpg

The PPR

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-par...ccumulator.jpg

Accumulator
    Thanks, very helpful info! I take a look at the o-rings as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for everyone's input and time, I would be so lost without this site!
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830