FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting My First DeLorean...finally

Getting My First DeLorean...finally

Well I've wanted a DeLorean my whole life. This past couple weeks a few developments at work occurred which finally allow me to financially BE able to realize living the dream

My problem at the moment is storage. I don't have a garage to store a DeLorean in because it's taken up by another car.

What's the best solution for this? And is there a cheap solution say like renting a storage unit for my DeLorean? And, if so, what's the cheapest, best I'd be able to find in Southern California and where?

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCoder3000 View Post
    I don't have a garage to store a DeLorean in because it's taken up by another car.

What's the best solution for this?
    Easy, kick out the other car. Surely it cannot be as important as a D?
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your purchase.
    Any pictures of the car?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    HAHAHA...not that easy. It's not my car. It's one of my parent's cars taking up the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your purchase.
    Any pictures of the car?
    I haven't bought it yet. But there will be plenty of pictures once I do buy it...

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    My wife's only condition with the DeLorean was that it did not impose on our family car's use of the garage, so my beloved V8 was the one to get shafted out of the garage.

No brainer, it got kicked straight out.
    Chris

My VIN:    3028

I'm sure you can always find a neighbor with an extra garage spot and rent it. Here where I live I have several older people on my street, many with two car garages and only one car, who wouldn't mind a little extra cash.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Don't know if it matters but check your insurance too, make sure it's ok to store the car away from your primary residence. And if something happened (like the neighbors garage catches fire) you are covered. Better to find out now then after the fact.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

If you parents car is just being stored in the garage space then you could look into getting one of those four post lift storage solutions. Long term it would be cheaper than $100/mo for a storage unit, or whatever they might cost.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCoder3000 View Post
    It's one of my parent's cars taking up the garage.
    I had that same exact problem until I got Hagerty insurance for mine. They require that it be stored in a garage of some sort, and my mom's not happy since it's her daily driver I kicked out. She's trying to tell me I need to brush the snow off her car even though she pressured me to buy the DeLorean first and the garage later (via my reimbursement of college loans they got for me), when I had planned the opposite way around.

Anyways, in terms of storage, if you get insured by a company that doesn't require storage in a "permanently attached enclosed fixture" i.e. garage (which is the legal jargon Hagerty uses I believe), then depending on yard space, you might want to invest in a car canopy. They come in different variations, from just the top-most part of it (think rectangular umbrella) to one with the top and sides (think circus tent). If you go that route, I strongly, strongly recommend sinking the legs of that canopy into concrete to anchor it properly. If the legs aren't secured well enough, and a strong wind comes around, it'll act like a wind sail and smash into any car inside or parked nearby. Insurance probably won't cover that ("negligence"). It doesn't have to go underneath the whole canopy, just enough to bolt the legs down and weigh it down properly. Also do yourself a favor and cover any ground with a somewhat thick layer of gravel. 1-2" thick at least -- this will help alleviate any settling of the ground over time.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast