FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Getting My First DeLorean...finally

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by CEOofawesome View Post
    Maybe the DMC-12 can sit outside, I mean it is an delorean but it is also stainless steel. I have a neighbor how awesome Trans-am with blue flames painted on it, and that car sits outside. Of course, the D is more than a car.
    It's not really an issue of element exposure as much as insurance requirements.

Element exposure is also an issue, however. Stainless steel isn't going to protect the dashboard/binnacle/interior.
    - Chris

what

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    So did the OP get the car or not?
    I will be.

It will take a little time to find the right deal. I've been scouring the usual places (here, eBay, etc.) researching prices and options and various cars in various conditions.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by CEOofawesome View Post
    Maybe the DMC-12 can sit outside, I mean it is an delorean but it is also stainless steel. I have a neighbor how awesome Trans-am with blue flames painted on it, and that car sits outside. Of course, the D is more than a car.
    Yes, a DeLorean can sit outside. Mine did for 3 years, and most of the time for the 2 previous owners. It's a CAR.

The only things you have to worry about are:

a. Trunk seals
    b. Door seals
    c. that awesome open engine bay cover design that lets every drop of water enter the engine bay.

Simple solution: Get yourself a GOOD car cover and a tarp if you don't drive it that often.

First, get a rectangular tarp that covers the entire length of the car, plus hangs down about midway. Get some clamps and clamp it down. Then, put your car cover over it. When it comes time to drive your car, unroll both together, so you can just roll it on the next time and re-clamp it. Simple, zero water intrusion.

Or, if you are in a hurry, go to Home Depot. Go down the bathroom fixture aisle and find yourself a roll of shower stall barrier and cut one a few inches larger than the inner engine bay cover. When you are done driving, let the car cool, lift your louvers, and unroll the barrier. This should cover the entire channel for the inner engine bay. This way when it rains, the water is just diverted down the side of the pontoon and your engine bay stays dry. When you drive, just put a flag in the interior telling you to check the engine bay before you drive off. If you are like me, you do a walk around before you drive off anyway...
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes, a DeLorean can sit outside. Mine did for 3 years, and most of the time for the 2 previous owners. It's a CAR.
    As accipiter said though, some insurance doesn't allow outdoor parking when at its garaging address. Case in point: Hagerty. When I sent them the application, I checked off that it would be sitting in the driveway, since it gave me the option to do so. A couple weeks later, my agent hadn't heard anything, so she inquired, and that part of their application is evidently only a courtesy. They require it to be housed in a "permanently attached enclosure", but for some reason still have places on the application form to select other storage locations, even though it's not required by any state's law to do so.

That being said, most non-collector car insurance companies do not have this stipulation. For those that don't, outdoor parking is still an option.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCoder3000 View Post
    I will be.

It will take a little time to find the right deal. I've been scouring the usual places (here, eBay, etc.) researching prices and options and various cars in various conditions.
    Cool - keep us posted.
    Jeff

Oh, and when you do get it, make your own thread and post plenty of pictures! I know they all look mostly alike from the factory, but after 30 years, age and wear and tear (or, hopefully, lack thereof) still intrigues us, as well as those little (or sometimes big) things here and there that make any D unique. There's something about these 30-year-old cars that never ceases to amaze us.

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    Case in point: Hagerty. When I sent them the application, I checked off that it would be sitting in the driveway, since it gave me the option to do so. A couple weeks later, my agent hadn't heard anything, so she inquired, and that part of their application is evidently only a courtesy. They require it to be housed in a "permanently attached enclosure", but for some reason still have places on the application form to select other storage locations, even though it's not required by any state's law to do so.
    Doesn't suprise me about Hagerty. They suck! Seems just like them to try and "trick" people on an application rather than just stating their garage requirement. Letting people fill out the form and then wait for no response..... Nice.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    Doesn't suprise me about Hagerty. They suck! Seems just like them to try and "trick" people on an application rather than just stating their garage requirement. Letting people fill out the form and then wait for no response..... Nice.
    I applied through my agent, who handles my daily driver's insurance as well. Doing that allowed me to be covered as a driver under my daily driver's insurance, but still allowed my D to be insured through Hagerty. I haven't issued any claims through them as of yet (and frankly, if I had issued a claim for my major repair bill, they would've written it off as a total loss by far like every competent insurance company would), so I don't have experience with that side of things, but I'm certainly hoping I don't ever need to.

I'm curious, what about Hagerty "sucks" exactly? Not trying to start a heated discussion or anything, but I work for an insurance company as well (different one; we no longer do standalone auto), so perhaps I can take this as a learning experience.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7