FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Frame Paint Color Comparison

My VIN:    2964

Thank you for all the info!!!

The only spots that need full sanding down and por-15 is right where the clutch is. Seems the old one dripped fluid all over the frame there, caused it to bubble and peel right off.

The rest of the frame is in great shape, just seems worn/dirty. I'm gonna use red scotch brite pad to scuff it and paint the frame.

As far as painting over por-15, when I painted certain engine parts, I por-15 in silver and just topped coated it with high temp clear coat from dupli-color. Holds on real good. I guess as the por-15 is drying, right before it is dry to paint over it.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    6125

If your original epoxy is just dirty and discolored you may be better off cleaning it than painting over the top. I used simple green degreaser and a Mr. Clean magic erasers and that got out years of grime and staining. The epoxy is much stronger than a thin coat of paint so if you can restore the epoxy's outer finish it should last a long time.

Here are a couple before/after pics of the difference a good cleaning can make. The last pic shows where I scrubbed in a circle with the Mr. Clean pad so you can see the color difference.

My VIN:    2964

So I bought the spray paint, Rustoleum Smoke Gray 7786830 and did a test spray.

DSC03513.jpgDSC03514.jpg
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

I'm a bit puzzled over the fact that every time the frame colour comes up, the question is "matches this (company) colour (company paint number) the actual paint colour of the D.

It shouldn't be a matter of which paint colour of which company is the exact/most exact for our car.

The only importantant figure is the RAL colour of the original frame.
    RAL is an international standard for paint colours and is used for at least over 80 years.
    I do not know the exact date of introduction, but the year is 1927, in Germany, starting with 40 colours.
    Nowadays there are over 210 colours in the system.

This implies that each paint manufacturers or reseller is able to provide you with the right colour from his assortment, using the correct RAL number.

As I have mentioned in a previous reply, the RAL number I used for my frame is RAL 7042 which is a shade lighter than the old paint.
    Using the RAL system, perfectionists will obviously be able to pinpoint the exact RAL number using this universal colour table.

Perhaps James E could find that correct RAL number in the original factory papers and provide it to the community.
    That would end this recurring colour questions once and for all.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    So I bought the spray paint, Rustoleum Smoke Gray 7786830 and did a test spray.

DSC03513.jpgDSC03514.jpg
    If you scrub away all the yellow grime on your fuel tank closing plate you will find that the color underneath matches your spot of fresh gray spray paint.

Here is my fuel tank closing plate as an example. I cleaned it with simple green degreaser and a red scotch brite pad:

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled over the fact that every time the frame colour comes up, the question is "matches this (company) colour (company paint number) the actual paint colour of the D.

It shouldn't be a matter of which paint colour of which company is the exact/most exact for our car.

The only importantant figure is the RAL colour of the original frame.
    RAL is an international standard for paint colours and is used for at least over 80 years.
    I do not know the exact date of introduction, but the year is 1927, in Germany, starting with 40 colours.
    Nowadays there are over 210 colours in the system.

This implies that each paint manufacturers or reseller is able to provide you with the right colour from his assortment, using the correct RAL number.

As I have mentioned in a previous reply, the RAL number I used for my frame is RAL 7042 which is a shade lighter than the old paint.
    Using the RAL system, perfectionists will obviously be able to pinpoint the exact RAL number using this universal colour table.

Perhaps James E could find that correct RAL number in the original factory papers and provide it to the community.
    That would end this recurring colour questions once and for all.

It would be nice to know the official RAL number that matches the stock frame color, but I don't know how useful it would be here in the US. If you walked into a Home Depot here and asked the guy stocking the shelves for some gray spray paint RAL code XXXX he'd stare at you like you were speaking gibberish and tell you 'we've got rustoleum this and krylon that.'

There are places online that will sell you a can of spray paint to RAL matched colors, but they're 40 bucks a can. Some hardware stores will also do custom cans but they're expensive and usually want a sample to match to instead of a paint code. It's much more useful here to know that the standard rustoleum gray stocked at every walmart in the US is a near perfect match.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm readying my frame for suspension upgrades and this thread has invaluable information. Shameless bump for ease of reference.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Glad it was useful, what a trip down memory lane to read through this thread again.

APRIL 81

My VIN:    952

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I'm readying my frame for suspension upgrades and this thread has invaluable information. Shameless bump for ease of reference.
    Me too. Two years later. Great reference in this thread.

Seven years later and my frame still looks really nice. I bet if I wiped off some of the road grime that has collected on the surface it would look as good as new. Overall I'm really impressed with how the POR w/ rustoleum top coat is holding up.

Next time I'm under my car I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post them here for comparison.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast