FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on DMC-Ev

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    ah... Plug in while AT work... it will become common soon....It WORKS... Don't get me wrong... Gas is great... but for MOST people... it would work...
    If...there were chargers...everywhere... But there aren't...in fact... I only know of 3 stations within 100 miles of me...and I don't work...at any of those locations...batteries...are not the answer...
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Pure EV does not make any sense at this time. Between the limited range, high price and long recharge time (and limited availability and standardization of recharging stations) it is impractical for most people. Hybred IS a viable option if you can justify the expense. As gas prices rise it makes more and more sense to go hybred. Until there is a way to increase energy storage significantly and reduce recharge times pure EV are a very niche vehicle. Someone has to invent a working Mr Fusion. Then we can have 1.21 Gigawatts. With that kind of power you can do anything!
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Until there is a way to increase energy storage significantly and reduce recharge times pure EV are a very niche vehicle.
    Steve Rice, Bill Robertson, and David Teitelbaum finally agree on something.

The biggest problem I see here is that once this company sell one car, that company is required by law to provide parts and support for at least seven years, the only to ways around is to close this company for good, which is not a good thing for us or buy the car back, which is the cheaper option.

I, after selling the first electric vehicle DMCHouston find out that this is not a good business (money wise), then they would be in a big problem should it be any problems with that vehicle during those seven years.

More important, this vehicle should be crash tested according to NHTSA standards, I don't believe would be willing to have his vehicle crash tested.

Now, in order to modify an vehicle in a way that it could affect the original safety standards, the company should be certified by NHTSA, DMC is not.

They can sell electric vehicles all day long, but is one of those vehicles is involved in an accident and one of the passengers is injured by some accessory that was not crash tested, then get ready for a law suit.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

It's being badged as a "Kit Car" to dodge the safety requirements, at least that's my understanding of it. Also, even if they did need to comply with safety and did go through with crash testing and airbags, the car would fail. It's shape does not meet modern safety requirements, the front is too flat, hood is too low, and a few other fun things
    Tyler Butler

Quote Originally Posted by tyb323 View Post
    It's being badged as a "Kit Car" to dodge the safety requirements, at least that's my understanding of it. Also, even if they did need to comply with safety and did go through with crash testing and airbags, the car would fail. It's shape does not meet modern safety requirements, the front is too flat, hood is too low, and a few other fun things
    I don't believe it can be tagged as a kit car if totaly assembled by the manufacturer, only need one dissatisfied customer to start the fire.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Maybe we should move to Kentucky and work at the Corvette factory, I've been there and the have chargers, not many but they have them.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Turbochargers?
    Superchargers?
    Dodge Chargers?
    Horse Chargers?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

They have electric car chargers, a whole row of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    I don't believe it can be tagged as a kit car if totaly assembled by the manufacturer, only need one dissatisfied customer to start the fire.

LEVY
    The DMC-12 was assembled by DMCL in Ireland in the early 80s, the DMC-EV is a modified DMC-12, not manufactured by DMCH-, just modified by them =)

Keep in mind, those Shelby Cobra replicas are scratch built too!
    Tyler Butler

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast