FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on DMC-Ev

Quote Originally Posted by tyb323 View Post
    The DMC-12 was assembled by DMCL in Ireland in the early 80s, the DMC-EV is a modified DMC-12, not manufactured by DMCH-, just modified by them =)

Keep in mind, those Shelby Cobra replicas are scratch built too!
    Replicas should be branded as replica, I don't believe DMCH would like to have their New Build vehicles branded as replicas. Replicas usually sells for a lot less money as the original.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

DMCH can call it whatever they want. What does it say on the Title! That is what you are buying! That is the legal description of the article for sale. It is going to say a 1981, 2, or 3 Delorean. The Bill of Sale will mention it is repowered with a different drivetrain. "New Build" has no legal status, it is a marketing/advertising term. Think back to "Fine Corinthian Leather". No such thing except in the mind of an advertising executive who thought it sounded so cool when Ricardo Montalban said it!
    David Teitelbaum

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My understanding is that DMCH sells you a car with no drivetrain, and then you pay the EV company to install the motor/batteries, and it is titled as a kit car (their new body shells have not been crash tested, and apparently they aren't reusing VINs on these)

--buddy

My VIN:    16619

Would be nice if they offered a DIY Kit, but it'll probably be tough for Legal Team to allow it since you'll need a Level 2 EV Tech License to work on High Voltage System for EVs (for OEM cars anyways, which all has to do with Legal safety shit).

Do they have any more specifics on the Battery pack, Outlet Type(EVSE is new standard for Charge Ports), Battery Diagnostics/EV-CAN, and a new Instrument Cluster? The pictures on the pdf file show something that seems to be the same Meter, but would probably need to upgrade it do something more modern. But guess it depends on the VCM being used I suppose. Though it does have what appears to be similar capacity to Leaf and 6+kW On Board Charger.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Exolis View Post
    Would be nice if they offered a DIY Kit.
    The DIY kit is very simple. Find a donor car that doesnt run for less than $10k and drop it off at the place that is doing EV work for DMCH. DMCH isn't creating EV cars. DMCH is paying someone to convert existing cars and is taking credit for some of the work.

The is no reason someone can't bring their own car to the same company to have a conversion done at a reduced price.

My VIN:    16245

I went to the Tesla dearer in Santa Monica with my son. They had the most polished and professional sales reps I've ever encountered. They will not quote the price of the battery pack. The reply is "In 10 years which is after the warranty expires, that battery pack technology will be much more affordable".

It's very expensive right not. Probably 20K or more. (depending on the capacity).
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    6650

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

I rode in the test car at DMCH and loved it. If I had the money to burn, I would convert my car. Range with the additional planned batteries is more than adequate. Fast car and I mean fast. This thing will throw you back in the seat from a dead start and gets up to speed in a blink. Freaky part is the lack of noise; you really notice every little creak and groan in the car.
    Kevin Dietrich
    Vin 6650

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    DMCH can call it whatever they want. What does it say on the Title! That is what you are buying! That is the legal description of the article for sale. It is going to say a 1981, 2, or 3 Delorean. The Bill of Sale will mention it is repowered with a different drivetrain. "New Build" has no legal status, it is a marketing/advertising term. Think back to "Fine Corinthian Leather". No such thing except in the mind of an advertising executive who thought it sounded so cool when Ricardo Montalban said it!
    David Teitelbaum
    That's it in a nutshell. As I've said in other threads if you buy a $60,000. 81,82,or 83 or in this case a $100,000. EV converted 81, 82 or 83 DeLorean. Be prepared for a GINORMOUS financial kick in the face should you ever decide to sell it! Unless you enjoy throwing money away. In which case I'd be happy to forward you my address.

Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The DIY kit is very simple. Find a donor car that doesnt run for less than $10k and drop it off at the place that is doing EV work for DMCH. DMCH isn't creating EV cars. DMCH is paying someone to convert existing cars and is taking credit for some of the work.

The is no reason someone can't bring their own car to the same company to have a conversion done at a reduced price.
    I dont' believe you can skip DMCH and go straight to that company for a conversion, they should have a signed contract to avoid that kind of issues but maybe you can find a auto zone CROSSOVER and do it YOURSELF for a fraction of that price.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    I dont' believe you can skip DMCH and go straight to that company for a conversion, they should have a signed contract to avoid that kind of issues but maybe you can find a auto zone CROSSOVER and do it YOURSELF for a fraction of that price.

LEVY
    I hope you are joking about the AutoZone crossover.

On a serious note, do you honestly think there is only one company in the USA that does EV conversions? Do a quick Google search and you will find plenty of other companies willing to do the same type of conversion.

Wait another three years and Goldie Wilson III will even do a hover conversion for you for only $39,999.95.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast