FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Reinstalling rear calipers

My VIN:    3154

Reinstalling rear calipers

What is the recommended way to reinstall the rear calipers in terms of the pads? Should the pads be in the caliper when you reinstall it on the rotor or should the pads be installed after the caliper is bolted in?

Thanks,
    Jake

My VIN:    2565

Quote Originally Posted by mowpow View Post
    What is the recommended way to reinstall the rear calipers in terms of the pads? Should the pads be in the caliper when you reinstall it on the rotor or should the pads be installed after the caliper is bolted in?

Thanks,
    Jake
    Push the pistons in with a c clamp, install pads then install calipers. That's the way I do it, no problem.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

I just did this a few days ago. I personally assembled everything including the brake pads and then installed the calipers. Frankly I think it was easier to install the pads with the calipers off the car but it prolly makes little difference otherwise. Just make sure to compress the pistons back in if they aren't already. I had rebuilt mine so my pistons were already fully depressed.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It makes no difference but I prefer to stick the pads in after I have attached the calipers. Makes it easier to install the calipers and not damage the pads.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2565

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It makes no difference but I prefer to stick the pads in after I have attached the calipers. Makes it easier to install the calipers and not damage the pads.
    David Teitelbaum
    How would you damage the pads? In some vehicles it isn't possible to add the pads after and never had a problem.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you have to force the calipers on you can knock off the friction materiel from the e-brake pads on the rear calipers. I just reglue it back on with some Gorilla Glue. To install the calipers "loaded" you must get it angled just right. I find it just as easy to do after installing the calipers.
    David Teitelbaum