FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy used or buy used from DMC

Buy used or buy used from DMC

I have noticed that DMC usually wants about 50,000 for their used Ds, but on sites like eBay you can get a D for about 20,000-25000ish. What would you do, pay more and get one straight from DMC or trust some unknow person on the Internet? Just wanna know, I can't buy a Delorean yet but might as well get ready early!

First, remember that "DMC" is not the original DMC of the 80s and has no connection with them. They are a well organized, restoration and parts vendor. Which there are a few of. You'll get varying opinions on this of course. But for my money I'd buy from DPI.
    1-800-273-8255

I understand that the DMC of today in not realy affiliated with the origanial DMC. Thanks for your opinion!

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

I think one aspect of the DMC ones are that they are higher quality than the ones you find on ebay. I can't say for sure, but I would assume that DMC ones have been restored, or at least meet their level of quality to be sold under the name. These cars always look better online than in person (DMC, ebay, or otherwise) so its hard to say for sure.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

The answer depends on what you want a DeLorean for. If you want a DeLorean and want a car that has as many modern features as possible and want as few mechanical/electrical/ cosmetic issues as possible, stick with a remanufactured/restored car from DMC Houston. If the DeLorean backstory matters to you i.e. you are interested in the history behind the car, John Z., its Northern Irish origins etc.. and you are willing to take extra care of an older car, you might prefer an original build car. Plus, as you noticed, an original DeLorean is more obtainable, as long as it is not completely destroyed.

To me the story of how and why the DeLorean came to be are as interesting as the car itself. My car is not just an unusual car but a piece of modern history too.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

The reputation of the DMC cars is not great in the community. The reputation of the "New builds" is appalling based on their asking price. DMC Florida DMC Midwest and DMC California were all separate business before joining up with DMC Texas and they do have better reputations individually, but unfortunately they have to keep their vehicle prices in line with Texas so that they don't lose their franchise. There are others in the DeLorean community that sell cars of equal if not better quality for a fraction of the price that the Franchises are asking and their are plenty of privately owned ones for sale that would cost less then half of a DMC car and you'd probably get just as much enjoyment out of. When a $20K breaks down a few times a year you'll deal with it. When a$60K car breaks down a few times a year you'll be ripping your hair out. Unless your the type that has alot of money and doesn't care about tossing it around. Which is exactly the type of customer DMC Texas wants, just like DeLorean one did and you see where they are today.......
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A lot depends on how handy you are, what kind of tools you have, if you have a place to work on the car, how much time you can spend fixing the car, and most importantly your budget. If you buy the car from a vender you have some expectation that the car will be drivable and depending on what you spend it can be almost as reliable as a new car. At the very least a vender can tell you what you can expect to have to do to keep it running. Buying a car privately it is all on you to know what you are buying and if it is worth what the seller is asking. A lot of what you will pay a vender is for peace-of-mind and the expectation that the most obvious stuff is going to be OK. Unless you get a "New Build" you aren't going to get a great warranty even from a vender. If you can afford it the best advice is to always buy the best car you can afford. You will have the most enjoyment quickly and the car should be more reliable and "pretty" than a POS that doesn't run and needs a ton of parts and time. In the end it will generally cost you more to fix up the POS then to spend it all up front and get a nice car.
    David Teitelbaum

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    The reputation of the DMC cars is not great in the community. The reputation of the "New builds" is appalling based on their asking price.
    To be fair...a perfect condition delorean is still...well....a delorean. Its gonna break. DMC ownership isn't easy.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Steve Rice and Bill Robertson have less than $15,000 invested in their DeLoreans (Steve Rice's and Bill Robertson's bulletproof front end upgrades instantly added $1,000 to their total investments, but being bulletproof they won't ever need to be touched again, and Steve Rice and Bill Robertson have the benefits of smoother than OEM rides in the interim).

Steve Rice and Bill Robertson think that anyone who spends $20,000 on a DeLorean, much less $60,000, is crazy.

Steve Rice and Bill Robertson do not have porcelain DeLoreans that break if you look the wrong way at them. Steve Rice and Bill Robertson drive the ever living daylights out of their DeLoreans -- as much as 8,000 miles per year.

Steve Rice's and Bill Robertson's DeLoreans are not only as mechanically reliable as 2012 year model new cars, but they look good too (Dirtiest DeLorean Award nothwithstanding -- you can't drive 8,000 miles per year without picking up a little dirt).

First, if you can not afford to buy a Delorean now, I believe a $50,000.00 Delorean is out of question. Now, if you are looking on financing your vehicle, better be ready to make your monthly payment plus maintenance bills. If you are looking for a daily driver, you must have a backup car, that is for sure.

If you end up buying a $20,000.00 and spend $30,000.00 to make it show quality, don't expect to have a $50,000.00 car, no matter what the person who is doing the restoration say, unless you have one of those pre-500 pilot cars, of course.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast