FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy used or buy used from DMC

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

If you buy a $60K Delorean, put it in storage for 20 years and never drive it. Expect to get $20K for it when you sell it.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    If you are looking for a daily driver, you must have a backup car, that is for sure.
    Drew Guillory's DeLorean is his only car:

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

nullset has a D as his DD also.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    nullset has a D as his DD also.
    Is that the only vehicle at home?

Would you rely on your D as the daily driver and your only vehicle at home?

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

For a while it was his sole vehicle. He added a second project D after about a year which in theory he could scavenge parts off, but I am not sure that he has ever done so.

Because he drives his a lot it is probably a lot more reliable than mine which isn't driven as much. I wouldn't have mine as a DD as it is more of a rolling resto.

In general, I wouldn't recommend anyone having a 30+ year old car as a DD. I was just pointing out that at least one more forum member has made that choice and has been successful/lucky. perhaps he is the exception that proves the rule.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Keep in mind the audience you are asking this question to. This board is simply a very small subset of the DeLorean community. The vast majority of owners don't ever communicate with others. What you see here is mostly those that either want to gather info on how to fix cars and/or socialize with others. I think the vast majority here are those with the skills and means to do most of the work themselves, followed by those that pay to have others do the work. The point being......not many here buy a completely done car, so you probably won't see that as a common answer. BTW, I use my D nearly everyday but it is not the only car(s) in my fleet.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Buy from a private seller (ebay, classifieds on here, wherever). Before you put any money down have the vehicle checked out by a mechanic who is familiar with European cars. You could probably go to a regular mechanic but they would probably giggle too much with all the BTTF jokes. Having it checked out gives you several advantages: You will know what your issues are (and can decide to deal with them or look elsewhere), it gives you room to negotiate the price (especially if the seller says "everything in great shape"), and most used car sales are as-is without a warranty, gives you some reinsurance you're not getting taken.

After you purchase, take the vehicle to one of the DMC vendors that specifically services them and have them do their inspection. Get a quote for the repairs and go from there. Good thing about having them look at the car, they can check for DeLorean specific issues and answer any questions you have about the car.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Drew Guillory's DeLorean is his only car:

Not true!
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Not true!
    Steve Rice says, "What? This is in fact Drew's only car."

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Steve Rice says, "What? This is in fact Drew's only car."
    Sorry,

Levy meant to say:

I don't believe that is the only vehicle at home, if it is, then it should be parked on the driveway and not on the side.

LEVY

John Z. De Lorean

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast