Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Buy used or buy used from DMC

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Sorry,

Levy meant to say:

I don't believe that is the only vehicle at home, if it is, then it should be parked on the driveway and not on the side.

LEVY
    That picture was taken at his brother's house. Believe it or not, Drew is able to drive his car to other cars and driveways.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That picture was taken at his brother's house. Believe it or not, Drew is able to drive his car to other cars and driveways.
    And he can park his vehicles on the lawn too, right?

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Banned

And he can park his vehicles on the lawn too, right?

LEVY
    Drew can park his car wherever he wants. Steve Rice was simply saying that Drew has only one car and you, not even knowing Drew, called Steve Rice a lier.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I used my car as my DD and only vehicle this summer. Between May and August put over 6,000 miles on the car .

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I used my car as my DD and only vehicle this summer. Between May and August put over 6,000 miles on the car .
    Quite a few people use their Deloreans as a daily driver but no too many can say that is the "only vehicle at home". Of course, if you can not afford to have another vehicle, then use what you have (this is not your case, of course).

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Quite a few people use their Deloreans as a daily driver but no too many can say that is the "only vehicle at home". Of course, if you can not afford to have another vehicle, then use what you have (this is not your case, of course).

LEVY
    Ordinarily it's not the case. This summer I lived 1,000 miles from home with nothing but the car and a bonnet full of tools (just in case).

Either way, this thread is starting to stray.

Back onto the topic; Back to the original question:
    Quote Originally Posted by CEOofawesome View Post
    I have noticed that DMC usually wants about 50,000 for their used Ds, but on sites like eBay you can get a D for about 20,000-25000ish. What would you do, pay more and get one straight from DMC or trust some unknow person on the Internet? Just wanna know, I can't buy a Delorean yet but might as well get ready early!
    I could not ever justify 50,000 for a DeLorean no matter what features it comes with. There are plenty of very reliable cars available for 20,000-25,000. Personally I dont see the need in having a vehicle with all new or NOS parts. Plus, a $20000 car can increase in value as you own it an put money into it (or at least hold it's value). Worst case, you buy a $25,000 car, you drive it for a year, get tired of it, and you can sell it again for $25,000, because you paid what the car was worth. A $50,000 DeLorean will never be worth $50,000 once it leaves DMCH. Like any other new car, it depreciates immediately. You buy it for $50,000, drive it for a year, get tired of it, you'll be very lucky to sell it for $30,000-$35,000. At that point its just another really good condition DeLorean with a Stage II engine.

My VIN:    2964

I prefer a used! Build it anyway I wish to, my way and with better parts!!

I need an LS1 engine in mine!!!
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I could not ever justify 50,000 for a DeLorean no matter what features it comes with. There are plenty of very reliable cars available for 20,000-25,000. Personally I dont see the need in having a vehicle with all new or NOS parts. Plus, a $20000 car can increase in value as you own it an put money into it (or at least hold it's value). Worst case, you buy a $25,000 car, you drive it for a year, get tired of it, and you can sell it again for $25,000, because you paid what the car was worth. A $50,000 DeLorean will never be worth $50,000 once it leaves DMCH. Like any other new car, it depreciates immediately. You buy it for $50,000, drive it for a year, get tired of it, you'll be very lucky to sell it for $30,000-$35,000. At that point its just another really good condition DeLorean with a Stage II engine.
    You have my attention with your comment(s).

I bought my D from DMC Florida for a Premium? price. Not a New Build but, a Low mileage, (Less then 4,400) car in Beautiful, road worthy condition.
    It had been Fully serviced, brought up to date with all the Needed/Necessary upgrades and came with a 12 month/12,000 mile Powertrain warranty.
    I Did pay more then $50,000 for it, Even more, if you include the Extras that I had added before I picked it up. (Haggling on their asking price Wasn't, an option with them).

Funny, It's still on DeLoreans main Sales page as being available for sale.

Makes me wonder if I could have bought a Lower condition car, then had it sent to a DMC service center and had the same work done for a Cheaper price?

BTW, I'm not afraid of working on my cars. I've just gotten to the stage of life that I don't want unfinished projects sitting for a few years without enjoying what I bought them for.
    Then again, sometimes the *Project Work* is what I start one for. Not the Finished product... (I have to re-think some of this).
    Anyway, I was in the market for a Daily Driver DeLorean from the onset. (Knowing that I'll HAVE to work on it here and there)...

I was going somewhere with this but,,,?

George
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 09-25-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Banned

A "rolling restoration" -- a car that can be driven while it is being fixed up rather than sitting idle -- is significantly less expensive than a DMCH refurb, and more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    [content removed...]
    Anyway, I was in the market for a Daily Driver DeLorean from the onset. (Knowing that I'll HAVE to work on it here and there)...
    [content removed...]
    I certainly dont mean any disrespect at all, but I know that if I paid over $50,000 for any vehicle, I'd better never have to take a wrench to it aside from oil changes and brakes; and even then, at that price it may not be maintenance I perform myself.r

Honestly, to me, that's the problem with a $50,000 DeLorean. You can never reach a point where you'll never have maintenance. The relationship between maintenance and price is the graph of 1/x; as the cost goes up, required maintenance goes down, but the reduction in maintenance per dollar becomes less and less the more you spend, and no matter what, the maintenance will never reach zero.

Still, to each their own. I have never been in a position where I could afford $50,000 for any car let alone a DeLorean; maybe I'd feel differently if that were the case.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast