FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine rebuild?

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Engine rebuild?

What would an engine rebuild on a Delorean cost? One person said it would run 5500. Just curious.

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

It depends on where you get the parts from and who does the work. Blocks in good condition are extremely hard to come by. PJ Grady does have piston and liner kits as well as heads. But if your block is cracked or rots out you'll be hard pressed to find a new one. I've seen running used ones in good condition go for as little as $1200.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    06960

If everything in the engine is in generally good shape and all your doing is a completely teardown, cleaning, and rebuilding, then your looking at about $1000-1500 for all of the parts and *machine shop labor* to refinish particular parts. The machine shop would do things like polishing the crankshaft journals, refinishing the heads, and cleaning/hottank of the block and lower crank.

If you find something wrong like a rotted block or excessively worn camshafts or valves then now your looking at a whole lot more.

To have the complete rebuild done by a mechanic you can probably double that first price I gave.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    What would an engine rebuild on a Delorean cost? One person said it would run 5500. Just curious.
    So you are looking at a very cheap Delorean with a bad engine, why don't you post it as you are posting all the other Delorean for sale?

Just curious

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Actually I am still learning about the Delorean. I was wondering just in case if I had to do a engine rebuild (hopefully I won't!). It will be probably be another 5 or 10 years before I can buy a Delorean, but I still plan on being a part of the Stainless Community!

Income has been hit and miss for me, so buying a Delorean right now wouldn't be a good idea probably. Plus it's better knowing what you are getting into before you buy a Delorean

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    When I was looking at that $4k Dallas car that had the engine removed I called down to DMCH and spoke w/ Steve. He didn't give me an exact number for an engine rebuild because its really a case-by-case analysis. He did tell me that a NOS replacement engine from his warehouse, which is Stage II (all of his are now) was around $9k. That doesn't include the trans or other important parts.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    When I was looking at that $4k Dallas car that had the engine removed I called down to DMCH and spoke w/ Steve. He didn't give me an exact number for an engine rebuild because its really a case-by-case analysis. He did tell me that a NOS replacement engine from his warehouse, which is Stage II (all of his are now) was around $9k. That doesn't include the trans or other important parts.

Buy the best one you can afford!!

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

It stands to reason that a 100% stock rebuild effort would be the cheapest, but if you were so inclined to improve performance just a tad while you are already in there, a set of cams wouldn't set you back much more. If you go crazy with performance pistons, etc. etc. it could get out of hand.

I intend on powder coating my block and possibly doing cams. Of course, I won't know if I need anything else till I get the heads off.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    And.... It is a 30 year old crate engine with 30+ year old rotating assembly components that has been stored in anything but ideal conditions.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    If you go crazy with performance pistons, etc. etc. it could get out of hand.
    For a second there I thought you were calling me crazy. Upon reading it a second time I realize you did not. Therefore I must be crazy.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast