FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where do you point your side mirrors?

Where do you point your side mirrors?

The way my side mirrors have always been set, the side of the car takes up 1/3 of the side mirror. This is what I was taught was "correct", and I just went along with it. I read some articles on how to properly align the side mirrors, and I never saw two people mention the same method for aligning them. This past week, I was at a stop light with a curve right before it, and as cars passed in the opposite direction, I couldn't see them in my mirrors. Then it hit me: why the hell is my car taking up 1/3 of the mirror?! So I adjusted the mirrors, and now only a quarter inch of the car is visible on the inner-most part of each mirror. Visibility is quite improved, but driving home yesterday, I noticed I could still see some things in both my sideview mirror and my rearview mirror. And now that it's starting to become winter, I have to change my route from roads 95%/5% one lane/two lanes each direction to 80%/20% one lane/two lanes, so mirrors will become more important in my daily commute.

So here's my question: when you get into a car whose mirrors are not aligned properly (rental, new, etc.), what method do you use to align them? With your method, are there any areas that are still hidden? Any areas duplicated? I'm curious to see how everyone else sets them. This is more of an opinion thread, so there is no wrong answer!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I move them out until I can just see the door handles on the side of the car and nothing more.

And then I move them a fraction more.

But depending on the car, there can still be a little blind spot.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

-I always make sure my seat is positioned so I'm sitting comfortably, and can easily reach the wheel, pedals, and shifter (if manual).
    -I adjust my rearview mirror, trying to see the entire rear window if possible. If possible, I also try to see out the rearmost right side window to a degree.
    -I then adjust my side mirrors to pick up where the rearview leaves off. In a perfect world, you'll see traffic coming up to you with the rearview, then they'll move to the side mirrors as they leave the rear. By the time they leave the side mirror, you should be able to pick them up with your peripheral vision.

You may need to adjust your mirrors a bit on the fly to perfect the angles, but this technique works in the DeLorean (multivex mirror equipped), my Saturn, Ford Freestyle, and GMC Sierra, and other vehicles I've driven (ranging in size from a Miata to a 5 ton cube truck).

I agree the rear of your vehicle shouldn't take up most of your side mirrors; you should already know where it is. It's the things moving in relation to you that matter. (That's the same reason I pull through in a parking space if I can or back in.)

My VIN:    06960

Never have any part of the car visible in the side mirrors. They are always angled *outward* looking to each rear quarter blind spot area. The rear view mirror is for looking behind you, and the side view mirrors are for looking beside you. Each mirror is exactly angled inbetween the rear-view mirror view, and the side window view. Result? Car comes up in rear view mirror, transitions to either side mirror, the exits the side mirrtor view and is visible in the side (door) windows.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

They way I understand it, having at least a little bit of your car visible in the mirror gives the driver perspective. But it truth, it really comes down to driver preference doesn't it? Not everyone even uses their mirrors.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I move them out until I can just see the door handles on the side of the car and nothing more.

And then I move them a fraction more.

But depending on the car, there can still be a little blind spot.
    Same here. Move them until you see the edge of the vehicle then slightly more until your car disappears. At least that's my personal preference. Nothing is going to hide on you in that 2" between your car and your sight line of the mirror. If you're driving a large van or truck that has no rear view mirror or is blocked you need to adjust them accordingly so you can see behind yourself.

I love those people that have the side view mirror adjusted in such a way that when you pull up behind them at a stop light you can clearly make out every nose hair and pimple on their face! Notice too how they try to stare you down? I just think to myself they must have some really bad blind spots! Then there are the ones who drive with their rear view mirror at a 45° angle so they can watch themselves as they drive! It's not a vanity mirror!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    They way I understand it, having at least a little bit of your car visible in the mirror gives the driver perspective. But it truth, it really comes down to driver preference doesn't it? Not everyone even uses their mirrors.
    I have seen "tutorial" videos state when your mirrors are properly aligned that your car should not be visible in the mirror. I personally have always had just a little bit of my car visible just to give me perspective of where I am in relation to what I am seeing and they do come in handy for reversing in parking lots set like this too. The center mirror does not offer enough info so the side mirrors play a dual role in my car. I do have a small "spotter" mirror for the driver's side just to make absolutely sure nobody is in my blind spot without me craining my head around,(That guy sold me a car with a blind spot in it). On the passenger side it's not much of a problem to check, so no blind spot mirror needed. if you want to be "correct" no car visible, but I do what works best for me.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-28-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Mine are set so that if you look at them normally, you don't see the side of the car, but with a slight movement of the head, the outside edge of the car comes into view, to give you perspective when you need it.

I still look over my shoulder when changing lanes though
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

We covered this before....Old site or old post here?

Anyway, about 2 years ago I converted from the traditional side mirrors to see a bit of your car, to the virtual one mirror from three setup, and I cannot/would not go back now. It takes about a week to get use to it, but what a difference. Makes lane changes safer AND faster (quick mirror glance).

Here is a good article on the technique and how to set it up: Mirror Setup
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

"I can't believe you loan me your car, without telling me it had a blind spot. I coulda been killed."
    -Biff Tannen, on adjusting mirrors.
    1-800-273-8255

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast