FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Normal fuel senders back on stock

www.delorean.eu

My VIN:    11626

Normal fuel senders back on stock

We have back on stock the normal fuel senders, with 3 more steps to make it work better.

Ed Uding
    www.delorean.eu
    Attached Images

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I have one of these. Is there any way to keep the fuel guage from fluctuating so much?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by DMCflux View Post
    I have one of these. Is there any way to keep the fuel guage from fluctuating so much?
    Put small screw(s) in the holes at the bottom. With two open holes the fuel moves in and out very quickly.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Put small screw(s) in the holes at the bottom. With two open holes the fuel moves in and out very quickly.
    Be sure not to tighten the screws all the way. I saw one car where the sender didnt work because it arrived from Houston with two screws tightened all the way in the bottom.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by bikergurl2000 View Post
    Be sure not to tighten the screws all the way. I saw one car where the sender didnt work because it arrived from Houston with two screws tightened all the way in the bottom.
    There are two holes in the bottom. Try filling one and see if that slows it down enough.

There are some gauges that are not damped at all in the gauge, with those the needle moves VERY quickly and you can actually see the steps in the sender as the float moves. Not sure how to fix that one, I have not taken a gauge apart to see what can fail inside. Normally the gauge moves relatively slowly but I've see a few that look like an analog VU meter.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5*9*

My gauge will move pretty fast upon accel and deccel but smoothly. This fluctuation is more apparent if there is less than a 1/4 tank. Also, the low fuel light was working (new bulb) and now it isn't. Could tightening the screw in the bottom of the unit caused this or maybe just a bad bulb?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    There are two holes in the bottom. Try filling one and see if that slows it down enough.

There are some gauges that are not damped at all in the gauge, with those the needle moves VERY quickly and you can actually see the steps in the sender as the float moves. Not sure how to fix that one, I have not taken a gauge apart to see what can fail inside. Normally the gauge moves relatively slowly but I've see a few that look like an analog VU meter.
    I don't suppose this trick does anything to help the fact that the upgraded sender always reads 1/4 tank low?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I don't suppose this trick does anything to help the fact that the upgraded sender always reads 1/4 tank low?
    +1
    Nope.

I had one of the two screws in mine found the other in the tank rolling around.
    Took both out, because for everything you add to slow the fuel escaping it also slows the fuel returning.
    I was tired of the gauge slowly dropping uphill and it slowly returning on level ground.
    This "was" one of those products just like the angle drive.
    "New and improved" until the next "new and improved" one came out.
    Everything is relative after all.
    Last edited by Jack; 02-08-2013 at 04:34 PM.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    +1
    Nope.

I had one of the two screws in mine found the other in the tank rolling around.
    Took both out, because for everything you add to slow the fuel escaping it also slows the fuel returning.
    I was tired of the gauge slowly dropping uphill and it slowly returning on level ground.
    This "was" one of those products just like the angle drive.
    "New and improved" until the next "new and improved" one came out.
    Everything is relative after all.
    Ah well. I didn't think it would but it sounded like a really simple fix worth trying. I'll just wait until it's time to put in the whole sender/pump combo. That one really IS an upgrade.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log