FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Owner's Directory

Owners Helping Owners

The thread here was closed, but I still felt impelled to comment on a post therein, so here goes...

DMCTalk-image1_2017-08-29.jpg (posted today, 8/29/2017, click image to enlarge)

This is a great case-in-point for joining the DOD, and printing a copy of it and taking it with you on long trips in your DeLorean, in case you have mechanical problems along the way.

CoverPage.jpg

One of the stated purposes of the directory is to list contact information of those owners who are willing and able to help other owners when on cross country trips. The DOD specifically indicates which owners have agreed ahead of time to help another owner in need, whether it is providing tools, garage space, tech know-how, or just support over the phone.

There are currently approximately 778 active entries, each with annually verified email addresses (and optionally provided telephone numbers), with another 148 inactive, and another few pending. When signing up, you determine and indicate your contact preferences. It's entirely voluntary, and your participation may help someone that gets in trouble along the way (that person may be you).

The primary perspective of the DOD is the United States, but also includes a fair number of Canadian and European entries. The directory itself is published once or twice per year, depending on how many changes come in.

Thanks to those who have already joined. If you haven't yet, consider joining today.

Thomas Kidd

Last edited by Citizen; 08-29-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

November 2017 DOD Published

DOD members can now download the November 2017 publication at any time. This is a rare, 3rd publication for this calendar year, due to a number of new entries and other corrections. The next scheduled publication is not until July, 2018.

CoverPage.jpg

www.DeLoreanOwnersDirectory.net

Not a DOD member?
    Become one! It's free. It's fast. And it's easy (still, if you have questions, feel free to IM me here).

Thomas

Last edited by Citizen; 11-04-2017 at 08:16 AM.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Wanted to update our listing and vins owned. Can't seem to get through the question page. Will not accept my vin format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    DOD members can now download the November 2017 publication at any time. This is a rare, 3rd publication for this calendar year, due to a number of new entries and other corrections. The next scheduled publication is not until July, 2018.

CoverPage.jpg

www.DeLoreanOwnersDirectory.net

Not a DOD member?
    Become one! It's free. It's fast. And it's easy (still, if you have questions, feel free to IM me here).

Thomas

www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Wanted to update our listing and vins owned. Can't seem to get through the question page. Will not accept my vin format.
    Hi,

The VIN format is just the last 3 to 5 digits of the VIN of the car in question.

Want to PM me, and I'll take care of it for you? Thanks for the notice just the same, as I will investigate.

Thomas

Last edited by Citizen; 02-14-2018 at 06:50 PM.

My VIN:    3937

Wasn't sure where exactly to post my question, so here goes...

Are there any stats out there indicating how many of the cars have non-stock engines? Either a total number or as a percentage of the original 9,000 cars.

By stock, I mean cars with the originally designed PRV and K-jet fuel injection system. Non-stock would be full-blown engine swaps as well as fuel delivery system changes like going carbureted or EFI or similar.

I consider a car as still having the stock set-up even with a stainless coolant reservoir, stainless braided fuel lines, stainless/transparent air filter housing or blue vacuum hoses, etc.

Not aiming for a debate over what choice is better with engine or fuel delivery or the like and not why a decision like that would be made regarding the car's condition before or after. Just trying to better understand approximately how many cars out there have the original set-up and how many do not.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

You might check out this thread:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15763

Here is the link from that thread with more detail on what you're seeking:

http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages/vinview_totals.asp
    Last edited by dn010; 02-15-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    You might check out this thread:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15763

Here is the link from that thread with more detail on what you're seeking:

http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages/vinview_totals.asp
    Thanks for that.

I count 76 cars with some kind of engine swap (Eagle/other/electric). If I am to think of that in terms of a percentage, am I to use the total "active" DOD members? Or active plus inactive?

What transmission or interior colour all 8,808 cars (the total showing as being in the registry) came with originally is probably still fairly accurate, but the non-stock engine number would be something you need a more recent account of.

76 out of 930 cars is what I would take from this. About 8%. An approximate number or guess. That's probably about as good as that's going to get with the information we have.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

It's more like 76 out of the 8800, or ~1%, as the count is from within the registry.

I think the 76 number is higher if you consider cars with a Turbo, Stage III or a carb.

How do you view Stage 1 & II cars in terms of stock/non-stock.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    It's more like 76 out of the 8800, or ~1%, as the count is from within the registry.

I think the 76 number is higher if you consider cars with a Turbo, Stage III or a carb.

How do you view Stage 1 & II cars in terms of stock/non-stock.
    I guess that's why I was asking for the information in the first place, because I don't think what is showing in the DOD is a good nor accurate representation. Not because what is in there isn't accurate, only because what is in there is out of date.

The way I read the data, the info we have on 8,808 cars is not much more than what it came with originally from the factory and where it might have been sold when new. The smaller number of "active" entries represents cars with current info.

That 8,808 number is getting very close to matching what we all believe to be the total number of cars every made. But that's original information and not active or current car status. We still don't know how many cars are actually still out there. We hear each other say that there are 6,500 or 7,000 cars still out there yet there's never any supporting data for those claims.

A few years ago when I first entered my car into the owners directory, there were around 1,100 cars as active entries. Of those, only 25 or 30 were Canadian owners. I knew myself of Canadian owners totalling something close to 80 or 100. But the directory only showed one third of that. At the time I was also looking to have something to say to people when they asked how many cars are left and I personally didn't believe the number was anywhere near as high as 7,000. I felt that if what was in the directory was accurate (for the info they had) and that if the Canadian owned cars was one third of what it really was, then I figured there might be 3,500 cars still around and not 7,000.

Back to the engine modifications number, if we take recent or up to date entries and that is around 76 cars, then maybe it's 8% or so of 3,500 in total still out there and that's 280 cars. Again, a guess at best.

I clicked on the link it gave me when looking at the "other" category and it showed turbo cars as well as carbureted in that number. So those would indeed already be in the 76 number. I wasn't considering the stage 1 or 2 engine improvements as non-stock. Not changes to primarily just the exhaust system anyway. There's so little validity to the numbers anyway it wouldn't much matter one way or the other the way I see it.

NOTE: One thought on not having ~9,000 cars worth of accurate and up to date information or status... I like it that way. I don't think we should know the what and where of every single car out there. Not the current info anyway. It's too damn intrusive and nosey if you ask me. I get how we all play the social media identification game when spotting a car out there, but some people value their privacy a little more than others and would rather be left alone.

If we have a good and accurate and current representation of cars and their owners and can then extrapolate out a bigger number for all cars, I am fine with that. That's all I was aiming to do with the engine mod numbers. How many cars that we have info on have modded engines, what is that as a percentage of the cars we know about, and how many would that then translate to overall. 8% from the looks of things.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The only way to have accurate and reliable info is to have every person who has a D to come on and say yes, I have this car, located here, this is what is wrong with it and this is what engine is in the car. Otherwise, there is really no way to have it up to date in order to reflect all of the cars out there. The problem is that DeLoreans are still located in barns, they're in back yards under tarps, stranded in garages while the owners death is being handled; they're being driven by people who don't give two shits about internet forums or registries and especially about having their info available to the public. So what we have right now is a list of what is/was available to the TXDMC. I think a lot of people who have done swaps have blogged about it or asked questions here and so that number might be more accurate than the 'Stage' numbers for instance. I don't think that it is fair to have "Stage I" as a "known conversion" when all it is, is someone bolting up a different exhaust but that is just me. At the end of the day, it is impossible to know all of this info for sure but at least there is some sort of base created to grow on.
    -----Dan B.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast