FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New fuel pump and sender installed.

My VIN:    10084

New fuel pump and sender installed.

Took about 2hrs..but I now have a functioning fuel gauge. The cover however does not bolt down all the way, although I don't think that will be an issue. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349565165.888761.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349565181.500406.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349565193.517011.jpg
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

Looks very nice Michael!

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Michael, Let us know how Accurate you find the new fuel sender is.

My D's gauge has become, Untrustworthy.
    I was showing empty today and the low fuel light kept coming on so I went and filled it up. It would only take 7.4 gallons?
    According to my miles driven, I did get 22 mpg around town.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Quote Originally Posted by cybercusp View Post
    The cover however does not bolt down all the way, although I don't think that will be an issue.
    I have that same problem after having installed the new style pump/sender unit...cover won't go down all the way. I've been trying to think of a solution, but as of yet, I haven't come up with anything. Hate to leave the cover loose, 'cause road dust/water can get into the luggage compartment.

Anyone else with the new fuel pump/sender unit have this problem? And what did you do about it?

Thomas

My VIN:    3299

Fancy dancy - looks sharp.

So did you have to do some crimping with that plug on the top of the new sending unit to the top-left ? That sure doesn't look factory.

Where is some info on this upgrade. I don't mean a forum topic - I mean a solid, dedicated page on one of the vendor's websites? I would love to do this upgrade, but I want some really thorough pictures and descriptions as to what I am getting and what I am expected to do for $400.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    4322

I routed the hoses as in the picture below, which is different to the first pictures posted. The cover is slightly harder to screw in but closes securely.

There shouldn't be any crimping requiring - the original connectors should plug straight in to the new unit.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    10084

Lukas- it looks like my cover is bumping into the electrical connection on top of the unit..my hoses clear. The orientation of our pumps looks similar to me so I'm not sure why mine isn't allowing the cover to seat. I wonder if I have it compressed into the tank far enough.

I believe that even though the cover allows a gap, the luggage compartment baseboard keeps any residual water from entering into the trunk. Just the same I'd like the access panel to seal down. I'll call Dave at DMCMW and see if they have any thoughts on it.

@George- the fuel gauge seems accurate so far based on my estimates of how much fuel is in the tank. I'm going to run it down until the low fuel light comes on and then see how much fuel is required to fill up. The needle so far is rock steady at 1/4 tank with no bouncing/fluctuation.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

My VIN:    4322

It's difficult to tell from just the photos, but your fuel pump hoses appear to be pointing more towards the L front wheel. My hoses are pointed at the steering wheel and binnacle. Although I can't see that being a huge issue, maybe it gives a bit more clearance to the access panel.

My low fuel light turned on at just under 1/8 of a tank. I didn't fill up all the way afterwards though.

My VIN:    3299

Ok, I am honestly not trying to play devil's advocate or be an ass - I'm just flat-out asking.

For $400, what else does this do besides make the fuel needle more accurate and steady?

Just asking. I have John Hervey's setup, and I like the look of DMCH's unit, but I am honestly asking myself "Is this worth the money?" - for me - as my setup works well and the "roaming needle" doesn't really bother me that much.

Not trying to start anything - it just seems like a good number of people must have been runnin stock setups, and this is a huge jump up, whereas for me, it would be "convenient" but not quite the jump like "VHS to DVD" seems to be for everyone that had stock pump setups.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by cybercusp View Post
    I believe that even though the cover allows a gap, the luggage compartment baseboard keeps any residual water from entering into the trunk. Just the same I'd like the access panel to seal down. I'll call Dave at DMCMW and see if they have any thoughts on it.

Rotate the whole thing counterclockwise as far as you can. There is a "flat" area on the top of the assembly that must face the front of the car. The hose outlets on the pump should be aimed toward the binnacle as mentioned, i.e. almost against the body. The cover plate should not be hitting the electrical connector.

Also there does seem to be variation in the shape of the tank and the fiberglass from car to car. After you get the pump re-oriented, start the installation of the cover by starting (do not tighten) the three screws that are closest to the front of the car. Then sort of "rotate" the cover into position and put the top center screw in while pressing on the cover plate. This leverage forces the tank down and the fiberglass up (both very slightly). Then you can install the rest of the screws.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast